[Synoptic-L] online (animated) maps of the empires of Alexander and his successors

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      With apologies for cross posting:

      Is there online anywhere maps -- and in particular, a series of maps --
      which show in chronological sequence the territories conquered, ruled
      over by, and then lost to Alexander and his successors, particularly the
      Ptolemys and the Selucids?

      I'd also be very interested in knowing if there are similar maps which
      demonstrate the expansion of Roman power from the Hellenistic age until
      the time of Diocletian and Constantine.

      Ideally, I'd like to see something that is animated -- that is to say,
      something that is not just a series of maps, but which, like a movie,
      has moving boundary lines. In other words, I'm seeking something which
      is an animated version of the Penguin Atlas of the Ancient World.

      Hoping I'm not to vague, I give thanks in advance for any suggestions of
      where to look for all of this.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

    • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        If anyone knows of such maps, please reply to the list. Although this query
        is off-topic for Synoptic-L, it is something that will be of interest to
        many of us and, I think, this message itself is quite acceptable for
        Synoptic-L. Nevertheless, I would advise against a discussion of map
        technology on Synoptic-L although information about where maps such as the
        one Jeffrey wants would, in my mind, be acceptable.

        [I reply personally and as one of the list coordinators for Synoptic-L]

        Dr. Thomas R. W. Longstaff
        Director, Jewish Studies
        Colby College
        4643 Mayflower Hill
        Waterville, ME 04901
        email: tlongst@...
        Telephone: (207) 872-3150
        FAX: (207) 872-3802

        > Is there online anywhere maps -- and in particular, a series of maps --
        > which show in chronological sequence the territories conquered, ruled
        > over by, and then lost to Alexander and his successors, particularly the
        > Ptolemys and the Selucids?
        >
        > I'd also be very interested in knowing if there are similar maps which
        > demonstrate the expansion of Roman power from the Hellenistic age until
        > the time of Diocletian and Constantine.
        >
        > Ideally, I'd like to see something that is animated -- that is to say,
        > something that is not just a series of maps, but which, like a movie,
        > has moving boundary lines. In other words, I'm seeking something which
        > is an animated version of the Penguin Atlas of the Ancient World.
        >
        > Hoping I'm not to vague, I give thanks in advance for any suggestions of
        > where to look for all of this.
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Jeffrey Gibson
        >
        > --
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
        > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        > Floor 1
        > Chicago, Illinois 60626
        > e-mail jgibson000@...
        > jgibson000@...

      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
          "Thomas R. W. Longstaff" wrote:

          > If anyone knows of such maps, please reply to the list. Although this query
          > is off-topic for Synoptic-L, it is something that will be of interest to
          > many of us and, I think, this message itself is quite acceptable for
          > Synoptic-L. Nevertheless, I would advise against a discussion of map
          > technology on Synoptic-L although information about where maps such as the
          > one Jeffrey wants would, in my mind, be acceptable.

          A hobbit friend of mine, whose selflessness in doing research for me always
          amazes me, has found a page that speaks to some of what I was hoping for. It may
          be found at:

          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~atlas/europe/maps.html

          You will need the Shockwave plug-in to view the animated maps. Maps requiring
          that are so noted.

          Yours,

          Jeffrey Gibson
          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

        • Tim Reynolds
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
            Or an animated version of early Christianity, different colors for Jews,
            Jerusalem foundations, Pauline foundations.

            tim

            "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

            > With apologies for cross posting:
            >
            > Is there online anywhere maps -- and in particular, a series of maps --
            > which show in chronological sequence the territories conquered, ruled
            > over by, and then lost to Alexander and his successors, particularly the
            > Ptolemys and the Selucids?
            >
            > I'd also be very interested in knowing if there are similar maps which
            > demonstrate the expansion of Roman power from the Hellenistic age until
            > the time of Diocletian and Constantine.
            >
            > Ideally, I'd like to see something that is animated -- that is to say,
            > something that is not just a series of maps, but which, like a movie,
            > has moving boundary lines. In other words, I'm seeking something which
            > is an animated version of the Penguin Atlas of the Ancient World.
            >
            > Hoping I'm not to vague, I give thanks in advance for any suggestions of
            > where to look for all of this.
            >
            > Yours,
            >
            > Jeffrey Gibson
            >
            > --
            > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
            > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            > Floor 1
            > Chicago, Illinois 60626
            > e-mail jgibson000@...
            > jgibson000@...

          • Ken Olson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
              Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

              > A hobbit friend of mine, whose selflessness in doing research for me
              always
              > amazes me, has found a page that speaks to some of what I was hoping
              for. It may
              > be found at:
              >

              > http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~atlas/europe/maps.html

              Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can
              learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after
              a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch. I hardly
              expected to get such an answer ;-)

              Best Wishes,

              Ken

              Kenneth A. Olson
              Graduate Teaching Assistant
              Department of History
              2115 Francis Scott Key Hall
              University of Maryland
              College Park, MD 20742
              kaolson@...

              I am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility of anything - T.H.
              Huxley