[Synoptic-L] Re: Matt 10:17-25

  • boyd@huxcomm.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      Dear Zeba,

      Concerning Matt 10:17-25 you wrote:

      <But I can't see what the seven verses referring to persecution have
      to do with the sudden observation that disciples and slaves are not
      better than their superiors? The jarring discontinuity between these
      two verses and what precedes it makes me wonder two things:

      1) why do many editors lump these verses all together as if they all
      have to do with the same thing? Do they, but I'm missing it?>

      The connection that I see is that the disciples will face persecution,
      just as Jesus did. He is telling his disciples that if they are truly
      "disciples," then they will face the same kind of persecution that
      he, their "teacher" (DIDASKALOS) and "master" (KURIOS) did: "If
      they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much
      more will they malign those of his household" (v. 25, NRSV).

      Jonathan Boyd
      Huxley, IA