Matt 16:13ff: post script

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30 6:54 AM
      Minutes after sending my previous post of notes on Matt 16:13ff, I realized
      that I had neglected to include another obvious, and also significant,
      "implication" of the observations made, namely, that the Aramaic (or Hebrew)
      Matt contained roughly the same text as our Greek Matt. In fact, the play on
      the names of Jewish High Priests, as applied to Peter, would have been much
      clearer in Semitic form than it is in Greek. For the case of Caiaphas/Caiphas,
      the Aramaic text is almost essential for the allusion to succeed. The Greek
      translator, whether or not identical with the author of the Gospel, seems to
      have been content with the surviving word-play on Petros and petra -- followed
      by the reference to Peter as the skandalon (stumbling stone) in the following
      verses.