Re: [Synoptic-L] Some questions to David

  • David Gentile
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
      Hello again Emmanuel,

      I thought about your first suggestion here, a little more.

      > > 1] Why a subtraction and not a division ?
      > >
      > > > So now we can compute the frequencies by category, relative
      > > > to what we would expect.
      > > > For "the" in category "222" we get .02 - .025 = -.005.
      > > > "the" occurs less frequently in "222" that it does in all categories.
      > > > For "bottom" in category "222" we get .005 - .004 = .001
      > >
      > > Why do you use the subtraction, and not the division, for that operation
      ?
      > > Your justification, with the word "relative", induce logically a
      division.
      > > You said elsewhere that you need to balance the high frequency of "the"
      > > but you can do it only by a division, for instance :
      > >
      > > For "the" in category "222" we get (.02 - .025) / 0.025 = -.2
      > > For "bottom" in category "222" we get (.005 - .004) / 0.004 = .25
      > >
      > > This operation would give a better relative representation. Do you think
      > not ?
      > > For that time being, I do not understand the purpose of your
      subtraction.

      The current method gives more weight to common words. Your system would give
      each word an equal weight. I think that might lead to more noise, since low
      frequency words might not be very well distributed.

      Thanks again,

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, Illinois
      M.S. Physics
      PhD Management Science candidate

    • Emmanuel Fritsch
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2001
        > > > Why do you use the subtraction, and not the division [...] ?
        > > >
        > > > Your justification, with the word "relative", induce logically a
        > > > division. You said elsewhere that you need to balance the high
        > > > frequency of "the" but you can do it only by a division, for
        > > > instance :
        > > >
        > > > For "the" in category "222" we get (.02 - .025) / 0.025 = -.2
        > > > For "bottom" in category "222" we get (.005 - .004) / 0.004 = .25
        > > >
        > > > This operation would give a better relative representation.
        > > > Do you think not ?
        > > > For that time being, I do not understand the purpose of your
        > > > subtraction.
        >
        > The current method gives more weight to common words. Your system would give
        > each word an equal weight. I think that might lead to more noise, since low
        > frequency words might not be very well distributed.

        OK. But in that case, what is the purpose of this substraction ?
        I still not understand it.

        a+
        manu

      • David Gentile
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2001
          Hello Emmanuel,

          > OK. But in that case, what is the purpose of this substraction ?
          > I still not understand it.
          >
          > a+
          > manu

          Without the subtraction we'd be asking:
          "Do these documents have similar word frequencies?"
          They do, because they are both samples of Greek language.

          With the subtraction, we are asking:
          "Do these documents depart from the average Greek language frequency, in a
          similar way?"

          Does that help any?

          Dave Gentile
          Riverside, Illinois