Diatessaron and synoptic order

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 1998
      I have a photocopy of a Diatessaron(Tatian a disciple of Justin Martyr wrote
      this c. the third quarter of the second century published by Rev. Samuel
      Hemphill, B.D. Published in 1888 by Hodder & Stoughton, 27 Paternoster Row,
      London.

      Part of the work is from the translation of Ephraem of Syria and the other
      part is from the Arabic document donated by the Coptic church commented on
      by the Vatican scholar Ciasco in 1883 and shown to the world in 1888. It
      consists of 355 leaves "embellished in gold and colours."(Hemphill)

      Hemphill stated it was based primarily on Matthew with mark in a reasonable
      parallel yet parts of Luke and John were added out of the chronological or
      order in which they appeared in those books.

      I found that some of the verses were only partially produced and sometimes
      the work becomes only an outline in form as parts were missing, not
      translated, or otherwise omitted.

      I cannot reproduce the whole work in this format. I would like to show an
      interesting bit of the outline:

      98 ARE THERE FEW THAT BE SAVED?

      99 ZACCHAEUS

      Zacchaeus make haste, come down from that. Behold, Lord, the half
      of all my goods I will give to the poor, and all things which I have ever
      unjustly accepted from anyone, I will restore these fourfold. To-day has
      salvation been accomplished for this house, for even he also is a son of
      Abraham.

      100 BARTIMAEUS

      A certain blind man was sitting by the wayside (at the crossing
      of the ways, and his name was Bartimaeus son of Timaeus. Jesus, Son of
      David, have mercy on me. They kept chiding and hindering the blind man,
      that he should not come to Jesus, therefore he kept calling out the more.
      And casting away his cloak he came to him. Receive thy sight; thy faith has
      made thee whole.

      101 PARABLE OF THE POUNDS(Talents)

      102 CLEANSING OF THE TEMPLE

      Were selling sheep and oxen in the temple.

      103 CASTING GIFTS INTO THE TEMPLE

      104 PARABLE OF THE PHARISEE AND PUBLICAN(praying)

      105 JESUS LODGES AT BETHANY. THE BARREN FIG TREE CURSED

      He became hungry and hastily came to that fig tree. He cursed
      the fig tree.

      106 NICODEMUS COMES TO JESUS AT NIGHT.
      (I delete the text here but this is the passage from John where
      Jesus tries to teach Nicodemus about spiritual things and being born again.)

      There was a verse about after Jesus feeding the five thousand his disciples
      boarded a boat and set course for Capernaum. It seemed original to me as I
      had not noticed it in modern context but had read "other side of the lake."

      There is also a harmony from Tatian(Arabic and Syriac), Aphrates(Homilies),
      and Codex Fuldensis as a dissertation by A. Hobson, U. of Chicago, 1904;
      yet this is only outline form and I have it only partially preserved from
      notes as I had not access to photocopy it in the room where I was allowed to
      read it. The author used the term "Journeys with Capernaum as headquarters"
      to describe some of the verses placed with Jesus early ministry.

      DH
      quentino@...
      http://www.erols.com/quentino -my website about the Revelation controversy
      as recorded by Eusebius with explanation of two parables and Roman history.
      It is three pages