[Synoptic-L] broken?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      A few years ago I read a comment on Mk 14.22 in which it is said that
      Jesus broke bread and gave this to his disciples with the words, "This
      is my body". The writer suggested that the action of breaking followed
      by the explanatory statement was a prophetic deed followed by its
      interpretation, an instance of "prophetic symbolism". On this basis, the
      argument ran, the account in Mark assumes that Jesus did not expect to
      be crucified, but to be stoned to death, since stoning would have broken
      the body rather than crucifixion. I have been trying to find this piece
      of writing without success, and my memory may be confused about the
      exact argument used. However, does anyone, please, know of such a
      written comment on this passage? My vague recollection is that what I
      read was by a Jewish writer?

      _