Re: [Synoptic-L] Why does 122 look like 112?

  • David Gentile
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
      Hello Leonard,

      You could well be correct about the ordering. I've not looked into it
      carefully. I tend to think Mark had 2 sources, one more Matthew-like and one
      more Luke-like, but not Matthew and Luke.

      The example with GINOMAI, does not work perfectly on the GH, either. I tried
      it.

      The results again:
      M - 24
      K - 39
      L - 45

      It's percentage of total words is:
      M - 2.23%
      K - 3.08%
      L - 4.06%
      222- 1.5%
      211 - 1.2%
      112 - 6.28%
      221 - 4.48%
      122 - 4.54%
      121 - 2.99%

      Here is the problem, in general. Let's look at the pairs, and see what we
      would need to assume, if they were using the other.
      Matthew reduces the percentage found in Mark. 222+221 < 122 + 121
      or Mark increases Matthew 222 + 221 > 211.
      This is normal.

      But Luke DECREASES the percentage found in Mark 222 + 122 < 221 + 121
      or
      Mark decreases the percentage found in Luke 222 + 122 < 112

      Also,
      Matthew decreases the percentage in Luke 222 < 112 + 122
      or Luke DECREASES the percentage in Matthew 222 < 211 + 221

      The Matthew-Mark relation is easy to explain on any simple hypothesis.
      But, no simple hypothesis explains the Luke relations.
      The following does explain it:
      B => L
      B => K => M
      If B had an even higher frequency than Luke, and Luke and Mark both removed
      them, but Mark was more vigorous in his removal, and then Matthew removed
      even more, we get the results we find.

      M - 2.23%
      K - 3.08%
      L - 4.06%
      222- 1.5% - low because all 3 editors are independently dropping. (They'd
      all have to keep it)
      211 - 1.2% - low because Matthew does not add much
      112 - 6.28% - high, because Mark dropping them causes them to be
      concentrated here
      221 - 4.48% - high, because Luke dropping them causes them to be
      concentrated here
      122 - 4.54% - high, because Matthew dropping them causes them to be
      concentrated here
      121 - 2.99% - average, because even though Matthew and Luke are dropping, we
      need them to independently drop it, to get into this category.

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, Illinois
      M.S. Physics
      PhD Management Science candidate

      "When you have eliminated the impossible,
      whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
      - Sherlock Holmes,
      in The Sign of Four, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

      "Why sometimes I've believed as many as
      six impossible things before breakfast."
      - The Red Queen,
      in Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll