Re: [Synoptic-L] Some numerical results

  • David Gentile
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 2, 2001
      Hello again,

      I agree 95% is very generous. I used that in reporting "Delta" because there
      was little data.
      With "Alpha-Delta" I reported 99%. (And lost one correlation that showed up
      in the "Delta-only" test.)

      I think P < 0.0003 might be a bit too restrictive at the moment. If I'm not
      mistaken, that would be what we want, if we want to be 95% sure that ALL of
      them are real.

      Actually, I'm looking at the confidence of each one in interpreting it. The
      most information is gained by reporting each one with its confidence level,
      then you know which ones to look at more closely. At 99% I expect 1 or 2 to
      be false, but probably only 1 since a lot are well above 99%. My candidate
      for that is 012 with 210.

      Most of the controversial ones were at high levels.
      222 - 202 > 99.99%
      200 - 202 > 99.99%
      122 - 112 > 99.9%

      Again, I'm glad you understand the results.

      Thanks,

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, Illinois
      M.S. Physics
      PhD Management Science candidate

      "When you have eliminated the impossible,
      whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
      - Sherlock Holmes,
      in The Sign of Four, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

      "Why sometimes I've believed as many as
      six impossible things before breakfast."
      - The Red Queen,
      in Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll

      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 2, 2001
        Brian Wilson wrote --

        >The more I look at the HHB categorization the more I wonder whether
        >analysing the stats reveals the decisions of the editors of the
        >Concordance rather than the relationship between the synoptic gospels.

        Stephen Carlson replied --

        >Of course, it reveals the decisions of the editors about the
        >relationship between the synoptic gospels.

        Stephen,
        But the aim of the game is to discover the relationship between
        the synoptic gospels, not the editors' decisions.

        I would suggest that a computer could be programmed to categorize every
        word of the synoptic gospels into 222, 221, 220, and so on, without
        assuming the Two Document Hypothesis (as do the editors of the HHB
        Concordance), or any other supposed documentary relationship between the
        synoptic gospels. The program might be designed first to search for
        strings of words in one synoptic gospel containing at least a stated
        number of words (or word-roots) in the same order as strings of words of
        the same size in another synoptic gospel. This could be extended to find
        similarities of wording in the same order in all three synoptic gospels
        within stated parameters. The program would establish triple parallel,
        double parallel, and Sondergut pieces of material. The size of each unit
        of triple, double, or special, could be, say, at least 8 word-roots in
        the same order, though of course a triple, double or special could be
        longer than this minimum. Whatever minimum size is laid down would be
        arbitrary, but at least the procedure using it would be independent of
        any assumed documentary hypothesis. On this basis, the categorization
        into 222, 221, 220 and so on could be carried out without making any
        assumptions of the documentary relationship between the synoptic
        gospels. 222 would represent a word-root present in each synoptic gospel
        in a computer-generated triple parallel, and so on. This would give
        "clean data", to use Dave Gentile's terminology. It would produce
        results that would not be dependent on the decisions of the editors of
        the HHB Concordance. I think that ideally this is where the analysis
        might have started.

        >The main question, however, is whether and to what extent the editors'
        >judgment is biased to a particular solution to the synoptic problem.

        I agree. That is one question I have been asking. The other question I
        have been raising is to what extent the editors' have applied their
        criteria inconsistently.

        What is really needed is computer-produced data that is not dependent on
        any synoptic documentary hypothesis and that applies criteria
        consistently. The HHB Concordance does not provide such data.

        _

        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 2, 2001
          >I would suggest that a computer could be programmed to categorize every
          >word of the synoptic gospels into 222, 221, 220, and so on, without
          >assuming the Two Document Hypothesis (as do the editors of the HHB
          >Concordance), or any other supposed documentary relationship between the
          >synoptic gospels.

          If you (or anyone else) could produce such a computer program,
          I'd be very impressed. However, one cannot even identify a parallel
          without supposing some documentary relationship between the synoptic
          gospels. For example, the decision to identify Mark's healing of
          the paralytic as a parallel to Matthew's healing of the paralytic --
          but not to Matthew's genealogy -- supposes that there is a documentary
          relationship with the former but not the latter. Of course, most
          decisions about parallelization will not be controversial, but
          they will be for not only for the so-called Mark-Q overlap texts and
          for doublets in one gospel where there is only one instance in the
          others (which of the two in the doublet is "the" parallel?). Even
          in noncontroversial parallels, there is discretion in deciding which
          of two KAIs in Mark correspond to the one KAI in Matthew. Frankly,
          I doubt it can be done objectively, because the theories and hypotheses
          we hold influence our perception of the data. This extends to the
          programmer of the computer as well.

          >>The main question, however, is whether and to what extent the editors'
          >>judgment is biased to a particular solution to the synoptic problem.
          >>
          >I agree. That is one question I have been asking. The other question I
          >have been raising is to what extent the editors' have applied their
          >criteria inconsistently.

          The editors admit their bias on the Mark-Q overlaps, but does that
          bias extend to other portions? You've pointed out some inconsistencies,
          but unless one can show they somehow favor the 2ST, it may be better
          to attribute the inconsistencies to noise rather than bias.

          >What is really needed is computer-produced data that is not dependent on
          >any synoptic documentary hypothesis and that applies criteria
          >consistently.

          I'm not holding my breath. Perhaps a better approach is to ask
          the proponents of the various solutions to produce their own
          "partisan" synopses and concordances that sets forth the data
          in such a manner that renders their solution in the most favorable
          light. Then we can compare them to see how well they handle the
          data. Maybe Dungan was right after all that there is no neutral
          synopsis.

          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
            Brian Wilson wrote --

            >I would suggest that a computer could be programmed to categorize every
            >word of the synoptic gospels into 222, 221, 220, and so on, without
            >assuming the Two Document Hypothesis (as do the editors of the HHB
            >Concordance), or any other supposed documentary relationship between
            >the synoptic gospels. The program might be designed first to search for
            >strings of words in one synoptic gospel containing at least a stated
            >number of words (or word-roots) in the same order as strings of words
            >of the same size in another synoptic gospel. This could be extended to
            >find similarities of wording in the same order in all three synoptic
            >gospels within stated parameters. The program would establish triple
            >parallel, double parallel, and Sondergut pieces of material. The size
            >of each unit of triple, double, or special, could be, say, at least 8
            >word-roots in the same order, though of course a triple, double or
            >special could be longer than this minimum. Whatever minimum size is
            >laid down would be arbitrary, but at least the procedure using it would
            >be independent of any assumed documentary hypothesis. On this basis,
            >the categorization into 222, 221, 220 and so on could be carried out
            >without making any assumptions of the documentary relationship between
            >the synoptic gospels. 222 would represent a word-root present in each
            >synoptic gospel in a computer-generated triple parallel, and so on.

            Stephen Carlson replied --

            >If you (or anyone else) could produce such a computer program,
            >I'd be very impressed. However, one cannot even identify a parallel
            >without supposing some documentary relationship between the synoptic
            >gospels. For example, the decision to identify Mark's healing of
            >the paralytic as a parallel to Matthew's healing of the paralytic --
            >but not to Matthew's genealogy -- supposes that there is a documentary
            >relationship with the former but not the latter.

            Stephen,
            I do not understand your argument here. The occurrence of
            parallels between Mark's healing of the paralytic and Matthew's healing
            of the paralytic but not between Matthew's healing of the paralytic and
            his Genealogy, is precisely the sort of result such a computer program
            would produce without assuming a documentary hypothesis such as the 2DH,
            FH or GH. There are many instances of strings of, say, no more than 20
            words in the Markan healing that contain at least 8 word-roots the same,
            and in the same order, in a string of no more than 20 words in the
            Matthean healing. On the other hand, there is no string of no more than
            20 words in the Matthaean healing that contains at least 8 word-roots
            the same and in the same order in a corresponding string of no more than
            20 words in the Genealogy in Matthew. The criterion would establish that
            the two healing stories include parallels in the sense of having many
            word roots the same and in the same order within strings of specified
            lengths, but that the Matthaean healing and the Genealogy in Matthew do
            not include parallels in this sense. It would be easy to set up a
            computer program to show this.

            Indeed, we could carry out such a check by hand, without using a
            computer program to spot parallels. I have just done this. There are no
            pairs of strings that meet the criteria above between the healing of the
            paralytic in Mt and the Genealogy in Mt. However, the following string
            of 20 words is found in the Matthaean healing of the paralytic --

            KAI IDWN O IHSOUJ THN PISTIN AUTWN EIPEN TW PARALUTIKW QARSEI TEKNON
            AFIENTAI SOU AI AMARTIAI KAI IDOU TINEJ TWN

            And it has 17 word roots the same and in the same order as the string of
            words in the Markan healing of the paralytic --

            KAI IDWN O IHSOUJ THN PISTIN AUTWN LEGEI TW PARALUTIKW TEKNON AFI/ENTAI
            SOU AI AMARTIAI HSAN DE TINEJ TWN

            Similarly, in the same two passages, the following are pairs of strings,
            one string from each passage, of no more than 20 words each such that in
            each pair there are at least 8 word roots the same and in the same order
            as in a string of no more than 20 words the same and in the same order
            in the other member of the pair --

            EN TAIJ KARDIAIJ UMWN TI GAR ESTIN EUKOPWTERON EIPEIN AFIENTAI SOU AI
            AMARTIAI H EIPEIN EGEIRE KAI

            EN TAIJ KARDIAIJ UMWN TI ESTIN EUKOPWTERON EIPEI=N TW PARALUTIKW
            AFI/ENTAI SOU AI AMARTIAI H EIPEIN EGEIRE KAI

            ===

            PERIPATEI INA DE EIDHTE OTI ECOUSIAN EXEI O UIOJ TOU ANQRWPOU EPI THJ
            GHJ AFIENAI AMARTIAJ TOTE LEGEI TW PARALUTIKW

            PERIPATEI INA DE EIDHTE OTI ECOUSIAN EXEI O UIOJ TOU ANQRWPOU AFIENAI
            AMARTIAJ EPI THJ GHJ LEGEI TW PARALUTIKW

            ===

            EGERQEIJ ARON SOU THN KLINHN KAI UPAGE EIJ TON OIKON SOU KAI EGERQEIJ

            EGEIRE ARON TON KRABATTON SOU KAI UPAGE EIJ TON OIKON SOU KAI HGERQH

            ===

            Each of these strings is a pair of parallels between Mt and Mk, and many
            words within these strings (after doing the same sort of comparison with
            Lk) could be categorized 220, 221, and so on. These are by no means all
            the parallels of this type that can be listed. These parallels, and
            others, between Mt and Mk could have been spotted by a computer
            systematically comparing every string of 20 words in Mt with every
            string of 20 words in Mk, and looking for at least 8 word-roots the same
            and in the same order in each pair of strings compared.

            The point is that it is totally unnecessary to assume a synoptic
            documentary hypothesis such as the 2DH, FH or GH, to establish that two
            pieces of material, one in Mt and the other in Mk, are parallels, or
            that two pieces of material in Mt are not parallels.

            You also wrote --

            >Maybe Dungan was right after all that there is no neutral synopsis.

            I am sure he was right. The HHB Concordance, however, is not a synopsis,
            and the question is whether such a Concordance can be produced without
            assuming a documentary hypothesis such as the 2DH, FH or GH. The answer
            is that it can.

            In the same way, a colour-coded text showing similarities of wording
            between the synoptic gospels, like W. R. Farmer's SYNOPTICON, is not a
            synopsis. Such a colour-coded text of the synoptic gospels can be
            constructed without assuming any particular solution to the synoptic
            problem, and without using any synopsis.

            >HOMEPAGE http://www.twonh.demon.co.uk/

            _

          • Emmanuel Fritsch
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 4, 2001
              "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote :

              > Brian E. Wilson wrote:
              > >I would suggest that a computer could be programmed to categorize every
              > >word of the synoptic gospels into 222, 221, 220, and so on, without
              > >assuming the Two Document Hypothesis (as do the editors of the HHB
              > >Concordance), or any other supposed documentary relationship between the
              > >synoptic gospels.
              >
              > If you (or anyone else) could produce such a computer program,
              > I'd be very impressed. However, one cannot even identify a parallel
              > without supposing some documentary relationship between the synoptic
              > gospels. [...] Even
              > in noncontroversial parallels, there is discretion in deciding which
              > of two KAIs in Mark correspond to the one KAI in Matthew. Frankly,
              > I doubt it can be done objectively, because the theories and hypotheses
              > we hold influence our perception of the data. This extends to the
              > programmer of the computer as well.

              I see some different biases in an automatic process :
              - Brian pointed out that a gospel may be selected, and the priority
              of this gospel (typicallly : Mark) is assumed, biasing the result.
              In fact, in the treatment, the input gospels should be processed
              with equity.
              - Even if synoptic gospels are processed in equity, some a priori
              may influence the result. I mean particularly to the pattern
              of redaction process that will be seen as most probable : a
              first small document that is step by step increased, or a large
              first document that as been cut toward our gospel. the balance
              between deletion and completion in synoptic process is a global
              a priori in synoptic study.
              - Then, an automatic process would hardly integrate all the other
              information, particularly the links between Luke and John.

              > >What is really needed is computer-produced data that is not dependent on
              > >any synoptic documentary hypothesis and that applies criteria
              > >consistently.
              >
              > I'm not holding my breath. Perhaps a better approach is to ask
              > the proponents of the various solutions to produce their own
              > "partisan" synopses and concordances that sets forth the data
              > in such a manner that renders their solution in the most favorable
              > light. Then we can compare them to see how well they handle the
              > data. Maybe Dungan was right after all that there is no neutral
              > synopsis.

              Are there any referenced biases in Boismard's Synopse ?
              Do you know about a comparison of different existing synopses ?

              a+
              manu

            • David Inglis
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 19, 2001
                Way back on Dec 1 Dave Gentile wrote:

                > But perhaps the real question is, why does
                > 122 look like both 121 and 112, but 221 look only like 121 and not 211?

                Dave, did you actually mean: "why does 221 look like both 121 and 211, but
                122 look only like 121 and not 112", or have I actually got the wrong data?
                In any case, have you decided why?

                Dave Inglis
                david@...
                3538 O'Connor Drive
                Lafayette, CA, USA

              • David Gentile
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 20, 2001
                  Hi Dave,

                  The case reversed itself with more data. It was 121 - 122 now its 121 - 221
                  . These appear to be redactor effects / chance , they vanish in the macro
                  categories.