Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: Bias against omissions?

  • David Gentile
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2001
      > There is, though, theoretically at least. Tell me, please, e.g., how one
      goes
      > about establishing Markan priority to a reasonably high degree of
      probability
      > without assuming things about the motives of the authors? This would be
      > really new to me.
      >
      > Leonard Maluf

      We talk about Occum's razor a lot in order to select the simplest
      hypothesis. But, part of simplicity is not only the number of documents, but
      how simple the author's task was. An author that behaved like GH Mark had an
      enormously difficult task, and one that we have never seen performed
      anywhere else. Thus, the hypothesis that an author behaved as GH Mark did, I
      would consider to be a fairly extraordinary claim. Without sufficient
      evidence to support the claim, I'd choose a simpler explanation. The sorts
      of activities I see the authors doing on my hypothesis are relatively
      simple. They copy, they delete offensive bits, they add material in
      appropriate places. They may be reconciling two texts, but they do it in a
      manner that one would not be at all difficult.

      That the authors behaved in relatively simple ways is not a starting
      assumption.
      However, simplicity is a criteria by which competing hypotheses are judged.

      In effect, given the information I have, I believe my hypothesis is the best
      one because it is truly the simplest one. More information might change that
      view of course.

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, Illinois