Re: [Synoptic-L] if confident to Papias, why not to Luke ?

  • Emmanuel Fritsch
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
      Ron wrote :
      > >> ..... I equate sQ with Papias' TA
      > >> LOGIA. A historically attested document is not hypothetical.
      >
      > Emmanuel Fritsch replied:
      > >If Papias attest TA LOGIA, or whatever other document, then
      > >perhabs should we think that Luke attest for at least two
      > >previous documents
      >
      > Emmanuel,
      > Absolutely right. I'm confident that he was attesting Mark and
      > Matthew.

      In that case, you should be more combative against
      Mk 1:4 as a proof of Mark knowing Luke ;-)

      > > ..... and in fact "many" ?
      > >
      > >In that case, all documents alledged as source of Luke, for
      > >instance pt-Lk, pt-Mk, and so on, should not be counted as
      > >hypothetical.
      >
      > But we can't be sure that there were any more than two. My view is that
      > Luke was using a little gentle exaggerated self-criticism, i.e.
      > apologizing for writing yet another gospel when there were already
      > "many" (though actually only two) such documents.

      Why only two ? When he says many, how may you be sure it is not more ?

      And how do you know that what you give to Luke may not
      be given to Papias ? If Luke were a half-Liar, is it
      possible to be so confident with Papias ?

      > >Or are we more confident with the testimony of Papias than
      > >with the one of Luke ?
      >
      > Luke's statement is less precise. Papias' statement most naturally
      > refers to one document. No one knows how many accounts Luke had in mind
      > in 1:1.

      Luke's statement is less precise, but he refers to more than
      two (if many has the same sense in greek, english and french)

      a+
      manu