Re: [Synoptic-L] deductive proof and the synoptic problem

  • Emmanuel Fritsch
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 2, 2001
      Brian wrote :
      > One answer to the first question is that to date I have observed 31
      > story dualities in the synoptic gospels. Since each story duality
      > necessarily consists of one simple dua-story and one composite dua-
      > story, there are 31 occurrences of dua-stories. I am not sure, however,
      > that I have understood your question correctly.

      My question was not good. In fact, what is interesting
      is the number of composite dua-stories in the LT. For
      instance, the triple tradition dua-story should not be
      counted three time, but only once. What is interesting
      is the set of composite dua-story present in LT, and we
      study if this set has evolved logically.

      > I am not sure I understand your second question. Is this about the
      > number of words in the triple tradition compared with the number of
      > words in the synoptic gospels? If so, then there are 1889 words in
      > exactly the same grammatical form in the same context in the triple
      > tradition (these words are in blue in W. R. Farmer's "SYNOPTICON").
      > [...] But again, am I answering the question your intended to be
      > answered? The question could mean many different things.

      You are right. It depends upon the scale you are checking
      the gospels. If you check the gospel at the pericope level,
      or at the word root level, you will get different results.

      What is the focus with composite dua-story ?
      If I well understood, you want to keep the same order in words,
      but allow to change the grammatical form. Your criteria focus is
      less hard than Farmer's one, but close enough, I think.

      > In the triple tradition, to date the only observed instance of a
      > narrative that is a composite dua-story in Mt, Mk and in Lk, is the
      > Transfiguration. It seems to me you are suggesting there is an
      > appropriate statistical model and test that would show it is very
      > unlikely that only one triple tradition occurrence of three composite
      > stories in parallel if we assume the LTH to be true. It seems to me also
      > that you have not told us what statistical model is being used, or the
      > null hypothesis, or the particular statistical test you have in mind, or
      > the level of significance you would require in the test. Would you be
      > able, please, to supply these details so that we can consider your
      > argument in an informed way?

      OK. I will do it in another thread. I just require one or two weeks,
      in order to write it as clearly as possible. I will ask you in private
      for some precision on your story duality list.

      For the level of significance : I think that if in a given theory the
      probability of the data is 20%, the theory is "unlikely". And 5% is
      highly unlikely. Do you agree ?

      a+
      manu

    • Emmanuel Fritsch
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 12, 2001
        > For the calculated
        > probabilities above can also be used to estimate the number of dua-
        > stories, simple and composite, that would be expected to occur in each
        > synoptic gospel, and these expectations can be checked against the
        > observed numbers. If the expected numbers are wildly different from the
        > observed, then this would throw doubt on the LTH. If they are reasonably
        > close, this would support the LTH. We should expect --

        OK, your compute looks good. I will analyse it.
        There is just a little question we have still to solve,
        when you wrote : "If the expected numbers are wildly
        different from the observed, then this would throw
        doubt on the LTH", we have to decide how significant
        should be that difference.

        But in fact, given the low number of story duality,
        I think it will be hard to compute the significance
        of the results, and I will retract my assertion on
        composite story lack in triple tradition

        More precision later.

        a+
        manu