[Synoptic-L] review by Kloppenborg of Allison

  • Jacob Knee
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      Very interesting review by John Kloppenborg of Dale Allison's book, 'The
      Intertextual Jesus: Scripture in Q' in the latest email Review of Biblical
      Literature:

      http://www.bookreviews.org/Reviews/1563383292.html

      Best wishes,
      Jacob Knee
      (Cam, Gloucestershire)

    • Peter M. Head
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        At 09:43 PM 10/31/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >There is a somewhat damning review by Christopher Matthews of Samuel
        >Byrskog's _Story as History┬ŚHistory as Story: The Gospel Tradition in
        >the Context of Ancient Oral History_ (WUNT 123. T├╝bingen: Mohr
        >Siebeck, 2000) in the recent Review of Biblical Literature:
        >
        >http://www.bookreviews.org/Reviews//3161473051.html
        >
        >I haven't read Byrskog yet myself; does anyone else have any thoughts on
        >this? Is Matthews's review fair?

        I have a long review article in the current issue of Tyndale Bulletin 52.2
        (2001), pp. 275-294, under the title: 'The Role of Eyewitnesses in the
        Formation of the gospel Tradition'.

        Generally more sympathetic than Matthews, but highlighting some similar
        methodological (and also exegetical) problems.

        Peter

        >Mark
        >
        >-----------------------------
        >Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@...
        > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        > Birmingham B15 2TT
        > United Kingdom
        >
        >http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        > Homepage
        >http://NTGateway.com
        > The New Testament Gateway
        >
        >Synoptic-L Homepage: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l

        Peter M. Head, PhD
        Research Fellow
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
        566607
        Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          In a message dated 11/1/2001 6:37:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          pmh15@... writes:

          << I have a long review article in the current issue of Tyndale Bulletin 52.2
          (2001), pp. 275-294, under the title: 'The Role of Eyewitnesses in the
          Formation of the gospel Tradition'.>>

          I look forward to reading this. The role of eyewitnesses in the formation of
          the gospel tradition is a question with which I rarely concern myself, but
          which is of obvious and enormous important in terms of the historical basis
          of our faith. I would argue, however, assuming the GH, that the role of
          eyewitnesses in the formation of the gospel tradition is virtually nil in any
          developments subsequent to the Gospel of Matthew which came first on this
          hypothesis. Would others agree, mutatis mutandis (i.e., assuming most would
          substitute Mark for Matt in the previous sentence)?