[Synoptic-L] Review of Byrskog

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2001
      There is a somewhat damning review by Christopher Matthews of Samuel
      Byrskog's _Story as History—History as Story: The Gospel Tradition in
      the Context of Ancient Oral History_ (WUNT 123. Tübingen: Mohr
      Siebeck, 2000) in the recent Review of Biblical Literature:

      http://www.bookreviews.org/Reviews//3161473051.html

      I haven't read Byrskog yet myself; does anyone else have any thoughts on
      this? Is Matthews's review fair?

      Mark

      -----------------------------
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
      Birmingham B15 2TT
      United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      Homepage
      http://NTGateway.com
      The New Testament Gateway

    • Jacob Knee
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        Very interesting review by John Kloppenborg of Dale Allison's book, 'The
        Intertextual Jesus: Scripture in Q' in the latest email Review of Biblical
        Literature:

        http://www.bookreviews.org/Reviews/1563383292.html

        Best wishes,
        Jacob Knee
        (Cam, Gloucestershire)

      • Peter M. Head
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          At 09:43 PM 10/31/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >There is a somewhat damning review by Christopher Matthews of Samuel
          >Byrskog's _Story as History—History as Story: The Gospel Tradition in
          >the Context of Ancient Oral History_ (WUNT 123. Tübingen: Mohr
          >Siebeck, 2000) in the recent Review of Biblical Literature:
          >
          >http://www.bookreviews.org/Reviews//3161473051.html
          >
          >I haven't read Byrskog yet myself; does anyone else have any thoughts on
          >this? Is Matthews's review fair?

          I have a long review article in the current issue of Tyndale Bulletin 52.2
          (2001), pp. 275-294, under the title: 'The Role of Eyewitnesses in the
          Formation of the gospel Tradition'.

          Generally more sympathetic than Matthews, but highlighting some similar
          methodological (and also exegetical) problems.

          Peter

          >Mark
          >
          >-----------------------------
          >Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@...
          > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
          > Birmingham B15 2TT
          > United Kingdom
          >
          >http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
          > Homepage
          >http://NTGateway.com
          > The New Testament Gateway
          >
          >Synoptic-L Homepage: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l

          Peter M. Head, PhD
          Research Fellow
          Tyndale House
          36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
          566607
          Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
            In a message dated 11/1/2001 6:37:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            pmh15@... writes:

            << I have a long review article in the current issue of Tyndale Bulletin 52.2
            (2001), pp. 275-294, under the title: 'The Role of Eyewitnesses in the
            Formation of the gospel Tradition'.>>

            I look forward to reading this. The role of eyewitnesses in the formation of
            the gospel tradition is a question with which I rarely concern myself, but
            which is of obvious and enormous important in terms of the historical basis
            of our faith. I would argue, however, assuming the GH, that the role of
            eyewitnesses in the formation of the gospel tradition is virtually nil in any
            developments subsequent to the Gospel of Matthew which came first on this
            hypothesis. Would others agree, mutatis mutandis (i.e., assuming most would
            substitute Mark for Matt in the previous sentence)?