[Synoptic-L] Story duality

  • Emmanuel Fritsch
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2001
      Coming back to the web page of Brian Wilson, and reading
      an old thread of synoptic list about falsification, I
      have some questions about the possibility of testing
      Brian's theory.

      When Brian wrote :

      # Also, there is considerable duality observable in
      # each synoptic gospel. The LTH entails that this
      # duality was created by the translator of the Aramaic
      # Logia as he produced the Greek Logia.

      If I well understand his position, story duality
      in synoptic are due to the greek translation that
      Matthiew, Mark, and Luke independently modified.

      If this theory is right, there is absolutely no reason
      that all stories have disapeared from triple tradition :
      If Luke works without having heard about Matthew and
      Mark, there is no mean for him to cancel all story dualities
      that other have kept. So some story duality should remain
      in the triple tradition.

      I would be glad if you may evaluate this idea : if Brian
      is right, then we should find a significant ratio of dual
      stories that occur in the triple tradition. Whatever the
      other theory you consider, the ratio of dual story should
      be very low (multi stage theory) or equal to zero (for
      direct dependencies theories), since for this theories,
      story duality are due to progressive merging of tradition
      along the redaction process.

      First question : is this test proposition valid or not ?
      Second question : does the ratio of story duality in triple
      tradition fit the Logia translation theory ?

      a+
      manu

      PS : according Brian's home page, the Greek Logia contained
      both genealogies of Jesus (Mt 1 and Lk 3). Do we have any
      kind of old documents, either greek or jew or belonging
      to another old or modern civilisation, that present such
      a double genealogy, with such differencies and oppositions ?