[Synoptic-L] three arguments that it is unlikely that Q exisited ?

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2001
      Tim Reynolds wrote (concerning "Q") --

      >Plus (4) it's unnecessary.

      Tim,
      I agree that it is not necessary to posit Q (as defined by the 2DH)
      to solve the synoptic problem.

      I see the problem, however, not in Q being an *unnecessary* hypothetical
      entity, but in Q being a hypothetical document *as defined by the 2DH*.

      My suggestion is that there was a documentary source (not a continuous
      gospel, but a set of individual notes for teaching Jesus tradition)
      larger than any synoptic gospel and containing virtually all the
      material in them (in Greek), and that each synoptic gospel is basically
      a cut-down version of this document.

      In other words, think of "Q" as vastly expanded to include virtually
      everything in the synoptic gospels, and of each synoptic gospel being
      produced by connecting together an independent edited selection of self-
      contained units of Jesus tradition from this.

      _

    • Tim Reynolds
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
        Mt23.24