Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: Gospels anonymous?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2001
      In a message dated 9/28/2001 12:38:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      zeba.crook@... writes:

      << Dear Leonard,

      your call for greater care is well taken, but in the absence of positive
      evidence to the contrary, your finding the notion of anonymous gospels
      "incredible" doesn't actually carry any probative weight. That is, you might
      find it incredible, but without evidence to the contrary, that's all we have
      work with. Conversely, if names were originally associated to the gospels,
      why
      would they have been omitted by *every* later scribe?>>

      I think you missed my point, which was to indicate a potential equivocity in
      the use of the term "anonymous". We are in agreement over the fact that the
      Gospels are anonymous in the technical sense (though Jeff Jackson's
      interesting contribution to this discussion should be noted as well). What I
      am arguing against, admittedly on the basis of common sense alone, is that
      these documents (the four Gospels) were floating around the Mediterranean
      world for years, before the presently attested manuscript ascriptions of
      authorship were attached, with nobody having a clue of where (or by whom)
      they had actually originated. At least communities associated with its actual
      place of origin should presumably have been up in arms over a late,
      outrageously inaccurate ascription of authorship to any given Gospel. I am
      merely making a plausible historical argument in favor of giving at least
      default credence to the names associated with the four canonical Gospels by
      the universal tradition of the church.