[Synoptic-L] the End of the Theology of Q?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2001
      In the coming October 2001 issue of the Expository Times, there is an
      article by Cyril Rodd on "The End of the Theology of Q?". Rodd considers
      to what extent the gospel of Mark could be recovered from Matthew and
      Luke assuming that Mark had been lost. He shows that the reconstructed
      'Mark' would not provide enough information for us to discover the
      theology of the gospel of Mark that we have.

      He concludes (summarizing his article) --

      >"The passages in Mark that cannot be recovered from Luke and Matthew
      >make **a very great deal** of difference to Mark's theology. Once that
      >is realized, it becomes obvious that to attempt to present the
      >theology of Q is utter folly. As 'Mark' [reconstructed from Mt and Lk]
      >is not Mark, so, in all probability the 'Q' of the scholars is not the
      >historical document Q. But more important than suggesting this as a
      >probability is the fact that *we do not know**. Moreover, until a
      >papyrus containing the whole of Q, including, most importantly, its
      >beginning and end, is discovered in the sands of Egypt or in some
      >monastic library, **we can never know**."

      I would make one comment. Throughout the article, Rodd steadfastly
      assumes that the Two Document Hypothesis is true, and therefore that Q
      (as defined by the 2DH) existed. If, however, it is shown that Q did not
      exist, Rodd's final sentence above is false. If Q never existed then
      neither did any theology of Q, and no discovery in any desert sand or
      library collection could alter the situation.

      _

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2001
        Thanks for the interesting tip-off, Brian. It sounds like the article
        echoes some fascinating discussion earlier this summer on the
        Xtalk discussion list by Dr Eric Eve of Harris Manchester College,
        University of Oxford. It's interesting how often it happens that the
        same point gets made independently but simultaneously.

        Dr Eve made largely the same point, that many, perhaps most of
        the elements commonly regarded as most characteristic of Mark
        (attitude to disciples etc.) would not survive a reconstruction that
        was solely based on Matthew // Luke. William Arnal made some
        useful contributions from the Q perspective; I and others chimed in
        too. It was one of the more interesting exchanges one sees on the
        e-lists so I've looked up the URL of the archive in case anyone else
        is interested; it begins here with "Worries about Q":

        I am hoping that Dr Eve will go on to develop his thought
        experiment and publish it, perhaps with some additional interaction
        with Cyril Rodd's piece?

        Mark
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT
        United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        Homepage