Re: [Synoptic-L] the failure of color coding

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 4, 2001
      After reading this thread, I have no idea, if any, what the
      failure of color coding is supposed to be. The purpose of
      color coding is to indicate the words and lemmata that are
      the same in two or more parallel traditions. Once there is
      an agreement that two passages are to be color-coded with
      respect to one another, then there is no difficulty and no
      failure in color coding.

      This necessarily presupposes some notion that the traditions
      are indeed parallel. Since different people have different
      standards for determining this, usually while being informed
      by a particular source theory, it is not surprising that
      different color coders will produce different results.

      Back to Dungan's notion that synopses are biased, one of the
      ways that synopses are biased is in the identification of
      parallel traditions and the primacy one gives to which of
      many possibles parallels and non-parallels. This problem
      exists prior to the color coding exercise.

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 5, 2001
        Stephen Carlson wrote --

        >After reading this thread, I have no idea, if any, what the failure of
        >color coding is supposed to be.

        Every color code system fails to code all significant similarities of
        wording between the synoptic gospels.

        W. R. Farmer saw the truth of this, and admitted that it applied to his
        *Synopticon*.

        _

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 5, 2001
          >Stephen Carlson wrote --
          >>After reading this thread, I have no idea, if any, what the failure of
          >>color coding is supposed to be.
          >>
          >Every color code system fails to code all significant similarities of
          >wording between the synoptic gospels.

          You said this before. It didn't make sense then, and it still does
          not make sense now even after being repeated. It might be more helpful
          to explain what is meant and address the valid points others brought
          up, rather than to repeat oneself in pretty much the identical words.

          >W. R. Farmer saw the truth of this, and admitted that it applied to his
          >*Synopticon*.

          It does not seem valid to generalize Farmer's admission of
          leaving "some POSSIBLY significant agreements unmarked"
          (emphasis added) in his synopticon to "EVERY color code
          system fails to code ALL SIGNIFICANT similarities"
          (emphasis added) as asserted and reiterated in this thread.

          Farmer's flaw, which was later discovered by Dungan, was
          that his attempt to "determine the nature and extent of
          the verbatim agreements among the Synoptic Gospels WITHOUT
          ANY REFERENCE TO A PARTICULAR SOURCE THEORY" (emphasis
          added) is impossible. That, I submit is the problem,
          not the color coding.

          Therefore, it seems that the imaginary failure of color
          coding has no relevance to solving the synoptic problem.

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 7, 2001
            David B. Peabody wrote --

            >Since we are publishing a new and improved version of this synopsis
            >with Trinity Press International this fall, we are not allowed to
            >display the newer version on the WEB. However, this new Markan Synopsis
            >on CD-ROM is advertised in the fall 2001 Trinity catalog to sell for $
            >30.00. We, therefore, do not expect that this price will prohibit
            >anyone from purchasing and utilizing this new software.

            Congratulations in advance to yourself and Tom Longstaff.

            What name is the work given in the catalog of Trinity Press
            International, please?

            Would you be prepared to say in what sense you see the work as a "Markan
            Synopsis"?

            Am I right that in your country a printed synopsis with no colors would
            cost more than $30? Printed synopses tend to be on the more expensive
            side in the UK because of their large pages. The price of the CD is
            surely very reasonable.

            I find that I use different synopses for different purposes. Each seems
            to have its own particular advantages. I would want to add your synopsis
            to my collection. I anticipate that your new creation will have its own
            special uses and be widely used and quoted.

            _

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 7, 2001
              Brian Wilson wrote --

              >Every color code system fails to code all significant similarities of
              >wording between the synoptic gospels.

              Stephen Carlson replied --

              >You said this before. It didn't make sense then, and it still does
              >not make sense now even after being repeated. It might be more helpful
              >to explain what is meant and address the valid points others brought
              >up, rather than to repeat oneself in pretty much the identical words.

              Stephen,
              I think I may have covered this point in my posting to Michael
              Grondin, albeit with some repetition of what I had already said.

              Brian Wilson continued --

              >W. R. Farmer saw the truth of this, and admitted that it applied to his
              >*Synopticon*.

              Stephen Carlson responded --

              >It does not seem valid to generalize Farmer's admission of leaving
              >"some POSSIBLY significant agreements unmarked" (emphasis added) in his
              >synopticon to "EVERY color code system fails to code ALL SIGNIFICANT
              >similarities" (emphasis added) as asserted and reiterated in this
              >thread.

              I entirely agree. I am not sure why you pursue this line of thought. I
              did not produce my statement by generalizing your quotation from Farmer.
              Farmer argues that the inadequacy of his *Synopticon* is the result of
              "cases where two or more passages in one gospel may be parallel to one
              or more passages in another". His conclusion is that this entails that a
              color coding of the text of Matthew, Mark and Luke is in danger of
              either being incomplete or of calling attention to imaginary agreements
              of wording between synoptic gospels.

              Stephen continued --

              >Farmer's flaw, which was later discovered by Dungan, was that his
              >attempt to "determine the nature and extent of the verbatim agreements
              >among the Synoptic Gospels WITHOUT ANY REFERENCE TO A PARTICULAR SOURCE
              >THEORY" (emphasis added) is impossible. That, I submit is the problem,
              >not the color coding.

              I think you are very confused here. Farmer's *Synopticon* is not a
              synopsis. It is a color mapping of the verbal agreement between the
              texts of Matthew, Mark and Luke. Farmer explicitly states in the brief
              Introduction that *Synopticon* can be used in conjunction with "those
              several excellent modern synopses which facilitate comparison of
              passages by arranging them in parallel columns after the manner of
              Griesbach". He thus indicates that his book is not intended to do the
              job they do. Constructing a color coding of the text of the synoptic
              gospels does not require the existence of any synopsis at all. A color
              coding of the verbal agreements between the synoptic gospels could be
              produced by a computer processing the text of the synoptic gospels with
              no reference to any synopsis.

              Dungan's thesis is that it is not possible to construct a synopsis that
              is unbiassed with respect to particular synoptic documentary hypotheses.
              This has nothing whatsoever to do with color coding the text of the
              three synoptic gospels to high-light verbal agreements between them. It
              has rather to do with, for instance, the various pericope divisions that
              can be followed by those constructing a synopsis.

              >Therefore, it seems that the imaginary failure of color coding has no
              >relevance to solving the synoptic problem.

              Again, I think I may have covered this point in my posting to Michael
              Grondin. In my view the synoptic problem is to put forward a hypothesis
              that accounts well for the non-parallelism similarities, as well as for
              the parallelism similarities, between the synoptic gospels.

              _

            • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 7, 2001
                If I may respond ....

                > David B. Peabody wrote --
                > >
                > >Since we are publishing a new and improved version of this synopsis
                > >with Trinity Press International this fall, we are not allowed to
                > >display the newer version on the WEB. However, this new Markan Synopsis
                > >on CD-ROM is advertised in the fall 2001 Trinity catalog to sell for $
                > >30.00. We, therefore, do not expect that this price will prohibit
                > >anyone from purchasing and utilizing this new software.
                > >

                > Congratulations in advance to yourself and Tom Longstaff.
                >
                > What name is the work given in the catalog of Trinity Press
                > International, please?

                In the Fall 2001 issue of the Trinity Press International catalog you will
                find the
                work referred to on page 6. At the top of the page is the announcement of a
                book entitled ONE GOSPEL FROM TWO: MARK'S USE OF MATTHEW
                AND LUKE. This work follows-up the earlier volume, BEYOND THE Q
                IMPASSE. Each of these works is a commentary on the Gospel using the
                Two Gospel (or Griesbach) hypothesis. Thus it responds to those who have
                asked for such a fuller treatment of the gospels, rather than discussions of
                one (or only a few) pericopae.

                At the bottom of the page, under the heading "Also Available," you will find
                reference to A SYNOPSIS OF MARK. David Dungan's two essays on
                synoptic construction will also appear on this CD.

                > Would you be prepared to say in what sense you see the work as a "Markan
                > Synopsis"?

                That question is easily answered. The Synopsis of Mark that will be
                available
                later this year includes the complete text of Mark's gospel with the
                parallel
                texts in Matthew in Luke in adjacent columns. Those who look at this
                synopsis
                will see that we have taken a different approach than the standard synopses
                to those places where multiple parallels might be identified. The structure
                of
                this synopsis reflects the structure of the analysis of Mark in the book to
                which
                it is related. Material common to Matthew and Luke but not in Mark (which,
                on
                the Two Document Hypothesis would be identified as Q material) does not, of
                course, appear at all. Neither does material unique to Matthew or Luke. In
                that sense the synopsis is a limited one, a synopsis that highlights the
                parallels
                to Mark - and in that sense it is a "Markan synopsis."

                As we have noted, David Peabody and I intend to follow-up this synopsis of
                Mark (with the parallels in Matthew and Luke) with a more conventional and
                complete synopsis, including all of the material in Matthew, Mark and Luke.
                It will be necessary for us to use a different structure (following Mark's
                outline
                might not produce the best modern synopsis - although it works well for an
                analysis of Mark). The synopsis of the synoptic gospels, unlike the Markan
                synopsis, will include the material common to Matthew and Luke not found in

                Needless to say, David Peabody and I are following the current discussion
                with a good deal of interest and taking seriously many of the comments about
                color-coded synopses. Obviously, we are less pessimistic about their
                usefulness than some participants in the discussion - which does not mean
                that we do not consider the comments made by those contributors. We
                appreciate the discussion and are informed by it.

                > Am I right that in your country a printed synopsis with no colors would
                > cost more than $30? Printed synopses tend to be on the more expensive
                > side in the UK because of their large pages. The price of the CD is
                > surely very reasonable.

                This is probably correct although I acknowledge that my voice is not an
                authoritative one on this issue.

                > I find that I use different synopses for different purposes. Each seems
                > to have its own particular advantages. I would want to add your synopsis
                > to my collection. I anticipate that your new creation will have its own
                > special uses and be widely used and quoted.

                The synopsis coming out this fall will have special use in connection with
                the Gospel of Mark and parallels to that gospel in Matthew and Luke.
                While we acknowledge that we have made no attempt to create this
                synopsis free of a presumed solution to the synoptic problem, we are
                convinced that it will be useful to those working with the text of Mark,
                even if they are working with a different hypothesis. We think that we
                have created the most exhaustive (and exhausting) display of the parallels
                to Mark that has yet been produced.

                How widely it will be used or cited remains to be seen.

                With good wishes,

                Thomas R. W. Longstaff
                Crawford Family Professor
                Department of Religious Studies
                Colby College
                Waterville, ME 04901
                tlongst@...

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 7, 2001
                  >Brian Wilson wrote --
                  >>Every color code system fails to code all significant similarities of
                  >>wording between the synoptic gospels.
                  >>
                  >Stephen Carlson replied --
                  >>You said this before. It didn't make sense then, and it still does
                  >>not make sense now even after being repeated. It might be more helpful
                  >>to explain what is meant and address the valid points others brought
                  >>up, rather than to repeat oneself in pretty much the identical words.
                  >>
                  > I think I may have covered this point in my posting to Michael
                  >Grondin, albeit with some repetition of what I had already said.

                  Yes, your response to Mike Grondin has clarified your point.

                  Nevertheless, I still take umbrage at characterizing the lack of
                  indicating non-verbatim similarities by color coding as a "failure"
                  of color coding. Color coding also does not give me your email
                  address, but I would not call that a "failure" because it is
                  outside of its intended purpose. Similarly, color coding's non-
                  indication of certain similarities where there is no lexical
                  agreement is not a "failure," because color is not intended to
                  capture that information. That information is instead captured
                  by the arrangement of the material in parallel columns, as Mike
                  pointed out.

                  >Brian Wilson continued --
                  >>W. R. Farmer saw the truth of this, and admitted that it applied to his
                  >>*Synopticon*.
                  >>
                  >Stephen Carlson responded --
                  >>It does not seem valid to generalize Farmer's admission of leaving
                  >>"some POSSIBLY significant agreements unmarked" (emphasis added) in his
                  >>synopticon to "EVERY color code system fails to code ALL SIGNIFICANT
                  >>similarities" (emphasis added) as asserted and reiterated in this
                  >>thread.
                  >
                  >I entirely agree. I am not sure why you pursue this line of thought. I
                  >did not produce my statement by generalizing your quotation from Farmer.

                  Then why do you continue to cite Farmer in this connection?

                  >Farmer argues that the inadequacy of his *Synopticon* is the result of
                  >"cases where two or more passages in one gospel may be parallel to one
                  >or more passages in another". His conclusion is that this entails that a
                  >color coding of the text of Matthew, Mark and Luke is in danger of
                  >either being incomplete or of calling attention to imaginary agreements
                  >of wording between synoptic gospels.

                  This illustrates the failure in choosing only one passage as the
                  parallel. It is not a color-coding failure; it is a parallelism
                  failure. Generally, as Dungan later discovered, it is impossible
                  to choose which one passage to be "the" parallel, because different
                  source theories may view different parallels as the primary parallel.

                  >Stephen continued --
                  >>Farmer's flaw, which was later discovered by Dungan, was that his
                  >>attempt to "determine the nature and extent of the verbatim agreements
                  >>among the Synoptic Gospels WITHOUT ANY REFERENCE TO A PARTICULAR SOURCE
                  >>THEORY" (emphasis added) is impossible. That, I submit is the problem,
                  >>not the color coding.
                  >>
                  >I think you are very confused here. Farmer's *Synopticon* is not a
                  >synopsis. It is a color mapping of the verbal agreement between the
                  >texts of Matthew, Mark and Luke. ***

                  True, but irrelevant. Dungan's criticisms, although discussed in
                  reference to synopses, are not limited to synopses but to any tool
                  that purports to show the literary relationships between parallel
                  synoptic texts. This is true whether Dungan realized it or not.

                  >Dungan's thesis is that it is not possible to construct a synopsis that
                  >is unbiassed with respect to particular synoptic documentary hypotheses.
                  >This has nothing whatsoever to do with color coding the text of the
                  >three synoptic gospels to high-light verbal agreements between them. It
                  >has rather to do with, for instance, the various pericope divisions that
                  >can be followed by those constructing a synopsis.

                  Actually, Dungan makes three independent criticisms of biased synopses:
                  text, arrangement, and pericope subdivision. Focusing only on the last
                  criticism does not tell the full story, especially when my argument was
                  directed to the second criticism.

                  However, all three criticisms are applicable to Farmer's Synopticon.
                  Farmer had to choose a text for his synopticon. That text, NA 25,
                  was partly established under the assumption of Markan priority. Farmer
                  had to decide which parallel passage is be the color coding reference.
                  That decision presupposes a particular arrangement. Farmer's decision
                  of whether to color code to another parallel in the same paragraph, e.g.
                  Mark 1:2, presupposes a particular pericope decomposition. All of
                  Dungan's criticisms are readily applicable to Farmer's Synopticon,
                  even though Farmer's Synopticon is technically not a synopsis.

                  >>Therefore, it seems that the imaginary failure of color coding has no
                  >>relevance to solving the synoptic problem.
                  >>
                  >Again, I think I may have covered this point in my posting to Michael
                  >Grondin. In my view the synoptic problem is to put forward a hypothesis
                  >that accounts well for the non-parallelism similarities, as well as for
                  >the parallelism similarities, between the synoptic gospels.

                  Phrased in this manner (though the term "non-parallelism similarity"
                  is a bit too infelicitous), the issue may have more relevance to
                  the synoptic problem, but it is important to remember that the
                  synoptic problem exists in the first place because of the so-called
                  "parallelism similarities," without which the so-called "non-parallelism
                  similarities" may be insufficient to establish that some literary
                  relationship exists between and/or among the synoptics.

                • David B. Peabody
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 7, 2001
                    Brian,

                    I have interleaved some responses below.

                    Quoting "Brian E. Wilson" <brian@...>:

                    > David B. Peabody wrote --
                    > >
                    > >Since we are publishing a new and improved version of this synopsis
                    > >with Trinity Press International this fall, we are not allowed to
                    > >display the newer version on the WEB. However, this new Markan Synopsis
                    > >on CD-ROM is advertised in the fall 2001 Trinity catalog to sell for $
                    > >30.00. We, therefore, do not expect that this price will prohibit
                    > >anyone from purchasing and utilizing this new software.
                    > >

                    > Congratulations in advance to yourself and Tom Longstaff.

                    Thank you. Tom and I look forward to critical responses to this work,
                    particularly from persons like yourself who have done some serious thinking about
                    the Synoptic Problem and the making of synopses. Certainly we would hope that the
                    membership of Synoptic-L would have some interest in what Tom and I have
                    composed.

                    > What name is the work given in the catalog of Trinity Press
                    > International, please?

                    The title of this synopsis, as indicated on page 6 of the fall 2001 Trinity Press
                    International catalog, is "A Synopsis of Mark. A Synopsis of the First Three
                    Gospels Showing the Parallels to the Markan Text.

                    > Would you be prepared to say in what sense you see the work as a "Markan
                    > Synopsis"?

                    This synopsis is Markan in the sense that we have utilized the running text of
                    the whole of Mark as the "lead gospel," if you will. Hopefully, next to this
                    running text of Mark, we have displayed all of the contextual parallels to Mark
                    and quite a few, if not all, of the non-contextual, verbal parallels, as well.
                    For instance, in one pericope, we utilized nine columns to display all of what we
                    would consider to be the relevant evidence.

                    This synopsis may, therefore, primarily be described as "Markan" because we have
                    not yet included in it the complete texts of Matthew and Luke, only those
                    passages in Mt and Lk that relate, sometimes even rather "loosely," to a parallel
                    in Mark. As soon as we can complete the work, we will offer an "upgrade" to this
                    synopsis in which the entirety of the texts of Matthew and Luke will be included.

                    Nevertheless, even in its current form, we have already included a considerable
                    amount of material common to Matthew and Luke that is not also found in Mark.
                    Such material appears, or instance, in passages that some advocates of the Two
                    Document Hypothesis would label "Mark-Q overlaps".

                    This synopsis was also constructed for the primary purpose of illustrating the
                    argumentation made in *One Gospel From Two. Mark's Use of Matthew and Luke.* This
                    form of the synopsis is, therefore, also "Markan" because that book focuses on
                    the composition of Mark.

                    This forthcoming volume is also advertised on page 6 in the fall 2001 TPI
                    catalog. In the book we say that our "ideal reader" will have our electronic
                    color-coded synopsis open as he or she reads this book. Such, at least, are the
                    hopes of this forthcoming volume's co-authors, Lamar Cope, editor, David L.
                    Dungan, William R. Farmer+, Thomas R. W. Longstaff, Allan J. McNicol, editor,
                    David B. Peabody, lead editor, and Philip L. Shuler.

                    Unfortunately, this book will not now be published as soon as the synopsis, which
                    should be available for purchase for the first time at the Annual Meeting of the
                    SBL in Denver, November 2001 and from TPI, of course, anytime thereafter. The
                    book will appear as soon as possible after that, now probably sometime in the
                    spring or summer of 2002.

                    > Am I right that in your country a printed synopsis with no colors would
                    > cost more than $30?

                    Yes. For instance, Aland's Greek synopsis is currently listed for sale at $ 69.99
                    in the on-line catalog for the American Bible Society.

                    Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum. Greek Synopsis of the 4 Gospels - K. Aland,
                    editor. The Nestle-Aland 26th edition text, with full critical apparatus and
                    parallels from the apocryphal Gospels and Patristic sources. Key to sigla. GBS,
                    Stuttgart, 1990 14th revised edition, 4th printing. Cloth, 27 x 22 cm., xxxii,
                    590 p.

                    Since the same volume is distributed world-wide, it has the same large pages you
                    note as characterizing printed, black and white, synopses available in the UK
                    (cf. Bernard Orchard's synopsis). Of course, Aland's synopsis also includes the
                    Gospel of John, a rich collection of annotations relating to textual variants, a
                    complete text of the Gospel of Thomas, excerpts in Greek from Patristic texts
                    relating to the gospels, etc. It is certainly worth its price.

                    However, I understand that all texts of the Bible distributed by the American
                    Bible Society, including Aland's synopsis, are subsidized. That is, the buyer
                    does not pay the total cost of the publication of text of the Bible or "portions"
                    of it. Handbooks on the Bible or parts of it or commentaries on the Bible,
                    however, even if extensive amounts of Biblical text are quoted, are not
                    subsidized.

                    > Printed synopses tend to be on the more expensive
                    > side in the UK because of their large pages. The price of the CD is
                    > surely very reasonable.

                    As you have quoted me above, Tom and I would agree and hope that cost will not
                    prohibit anyone from using this new synopsis.

                    > I find that I use different synopses for different purposes. Each seems
                    > to have its own particular advantages. I would want to add your synopsis
                    > to my collection. I anticipate that your new creation will have its own
                    > special uses and be widely used and quoted.
                    >
                    > Best wishes,
                    > BRIAN WILSON

                    I also use a variety of synopses for various purposes and, of course, hope that
                    you and others will find a place for this new synopsis in whatever collection of
                    tools or aids for the study of the gospels you may have.

                    Best,

                    David Barrett Peabody

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 8, 2001
                      Brian Wilson wrote --

                      >In my view the synoptic problem is to put forward a hypothesis that
                      >accounts well for the non-parallelism similarities, as well as for
                      >the parallelism similarities, between the synoptic gospels.

                      Stephen Carlson replied --

                      >Phrased in this manner (though the term "non-parallelism similarity"
                      >is a bit too infelicitous), the issue may have more relevance to
                      >the synoptic problem, but it is important to remember that the
                      >synoptic problem exists in the first place because of the so-called
                      >"parallelism similarities," without which the so-called "non-
                      >parallelism similarities" may be insufficient to establish that some
                      >literary relationship exists between and/or among the synoptics.

                      Stephen,
                      I agree with what you say here, including the comment that "non-
                      parallelism similarity" is a bit too infelicitous. I will try and do
                      something about that.

                      _