[Synoptic-L] Re: [XTalk] The Dutch Radical Approach to the Pauline Epistles

  • Steve Black
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2001
      >Ron wrote
      > > Besides, Galatians admits to considerable friction between
      >> Paul and the original followers of Jesus (2:6,9,11) - not the sort of
      >> admission we would expect from an imposter trying to further the
      >> theology advocated in the letters..
      >
      >Fabrizio wrote
      >I don't understand the point, excuse me. Who is the imposter, Marcion?
      >From marcionite point of view (solus Paulus!) the friction is perfectly
      >understandable, and permeates every letters (in the hypothesis of marcionite
      >origin, a catholic redactor is responsible for the mitigation)

      [I ask]
      I think a useful direction for this thread would be to compare
      *critically* the exact attitude
      towards the law in Romans (a more "complete" a statement of thought
      than Galatians) and
      that which is held by Marcion.

      For example, would a Marcionite write;
      Romans 3:31
      Do we then overthrow the law by this faith? By no means!
      On the contrary, we uphold the law.
      Romans 7:7
      What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet, if it
      had not been for the law, I should not have known sin.
      Romans 7:12
      So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and just and good.

      I don't really know Marcionite teaching that well, but it has been my
      impression that they were rather guilty of a simplistic reading of
      Paul.

      Am I wrong in this?

      --
      Peace