Re: Matthew and Gentiles

  • Jim Deardorff
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 1998
      At 02:58 PM 2/18/98 -0600, Lamar Cope wrote:
      >The issue is far more complicated than the contrast between Mt 10
      >and Mt 28. As early as Matthew 6 Gentiles are slurred in phrases
      >like, "don't do as the Gentiles do." I have always felt that we
      >want to read Matthew through Gentile Christian, even Pauline
      >eyes. Tony Saldarini is probably correct. This community of
      >Christian Jews was a sectarian Jewish group. Its mission to
      >Gentiles involved Gentiles converting to their version of Judaism
      >(Mt 5:17-20). Then they were acceptable. The only tension in
      >the book on this issue is between a narrowly Palestinian mission
      >and a broader mission to the nations which reflects not the time
      >of Jesus versus the time of the church, but the time of the
      >earliest Palestinian mission versus the post-70 setting.
      >************
      >Lamar Cope

      Hello Lamar,

      But you seem to be assuming that in Mt 5:17-20 and elsewhere that the writer
      of Matthew didn't feed in any redactions. But with his apparent Jewish
      background, he could well have been motivated to redact his source at Mt
      5:17 as well as at Mt 10:5b and at hosts of other places. (Just because
      scholars can't agree on which verses were redacted and which weren't doesn't
      mean that a lot of Matthew isn't redactions.) This is one way a "tension"
      can be established -- between the original teachings, a few of which
      persisted, at least in fragments, and the beliefs of the writer of Matthew.

      Jim Deardorff