[Synoptic-L] Virus warning

  • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2001
      Colleagues,

      Although messages such as this are often not appropriate for the list, I am making an exception. A new virus or worm is now making the rounds and is very destructive. It is called the sircam virus and comes as an email attachment. The subject line and message vary and are very convincing. I have received this virus at least four times in the last twenty-four hours. Once it asked my advice on a document called "diet." Another time it was on a document called "educational experience." And so forth. My daughter Anna opened the virus document and it will take a full day for professionals to "clean up" her machine.

      So, please be cautious about opening attachments to email right now. There are at least two very serious viruses/worms going around at this time (the sircam and the red alert viruses).

      I hope that this warning is appreciated. Please do not respond to the list. Synoptic-L is not the place for long discussions about viruses, worms, trojan horses, etc., but it is often timely for us to warn one another - as I do now.

      Best wishes.

      Tom Longstaff
      List Co-ordinator
      Synoptic-L