[Synoptic-L] gospels

  • Rick S
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2001
      A thought:
      To what extent were EUAGGELIA written texts? I refer to any EUAGGELION - announcements of weddings, proclamations of holy days etc. Is it at all possible that when Paul talks about 'my gospel' or even 'the gospel' he primarily is referring to a written text? Or at least is referring to a gospel which in the first instance came to his audience as a written text?
      Jerome, for example, says that when Paul talks of his gospel he is referring to the Gospel of Luke. What made Jerome think Paul referred to a written Gospel?

      As I said, a  thought. Someone will soon tell me whether it's worth pursuing further or not!

      Rick Strelan
      Studies in Religion
      University of Queensland