Re: [Synoptic-L] re-Judaizing Matthew

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 8, 2001
      In a message dated 7/7/2001 10:00:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Niqmaddu@... writes:

      << I think you are absolutely correct. Not to divert from the main point,
      however, I am curious as to your understanding of the background of Luke's
      use in 1:32-33: 'He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most
      High...and of his kingdom there will be no end. Does this fit more in a
      Jewish mindset or a Hellenistic/Roman?>>

      I think this entire section of Luke fits in better with a Jewish mindset, but
      nevertheless uses expressions that would be well received in the Greco-Roman
      world as well. Fitzmyer points to parallels here to fragmentary evidence from
      Qumran (so, more or less contemporary Judaism); there are also remote
      biblical parallels to "he will be great" (cf. Gen 16:12), and for "of his
      kingdom there will be no end" (Dan 7:14; Is 9:6); but Luke is, I think, also
      aware of the fact that hUPSISTOS was a classical title for Zeus in the Greek
      world as well. In other words, I don't have a point of view here that differs
      greatly from fairly standard scholarly commentary on this verse.