Re: seeking aid from God to be obedient to God

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 1998
      rian Wilson wrote (SNIP) -
      >>It seems to me that if we are free to obey God, then we do not need
      >>to ask for his aid to obey him. Equally, if we need to ask for his
      >>aid to obey him, then we are not free to obey. In the last resort, it
      >>is not God who does the obeying. I do not think any prayer attributed
      >>to Jesus implies that he is asking God to aid him (Jesus) to obey him
      >>(God). In none of his prayers is Jesus saying that he is not free to
      >>obey God.
      Jeffrey Gibson replied (SNIP) -
      >I am at something of a loss to know exactly how to answer this, since it
      >seems to me to impose upon texts such as Matt. 26:39-44 and parallels
      >some philosophical considerations about freedom and determinism which
      >the texts themselves seem to have no awareness of.

      My point, Jeffrey, is that when you write of your "thesis that at the
      center of these instances was a concern on Jesus' part to secure divine
      aid to be obedient to God's will", you are importing philosophical
      considerations about freedom and determinism which the texts themselves
      seem to have no awareness of. My "philosophical considerations" are my
      paraphrasing of your ideas in order to try and understand what you
      write.

      In the prayer of Jesus to which you refer, for instance, he says, "My
      Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not
      as I will but as you will." Where in these tremendous words is there any
      reference at all to a concern by Jesus to "secure divine aid to be
      obedient to God's will"? Is this not reading philosophical
      considerations into the words of the prayer?

      E-MAIL: brian@... TELEPHONE: +44-1480-385043
      SNAILMAIL: Rev B. E. Wilson, HOMEPAGE:
      Huntingdon, Cambs, PE18 8EB, UK