[Synoptic-L] Mt bibliography

  • Steve Black
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 5 1:52 PM
      I am looking for suggestions as to what to look for regarding works
      on GMatthew. If any one would be willing to submit a select
      bibliography including two or three (or whatever) works that you
      believe to be most important, that would be very helpful!

      Thanks in Advance!
      --
      Peace

      Steve Black
      Vancouver, BC

    • Jeff Peterson
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 5 3:16 PM
        Steve Black wrote:
        If any one would be willing to submit a select
        > bibliography including two or three (or whatever) works that you
        > believe to be most important, that would be very helpful!

        I've found most helpful:

        Paul S. Minear, MATTHEW: THE TEACHER'S GOSPEL (out of print)

        Dale C. Allison, Jr., THE NEW MOSES: A MATTHEAN TYPOLOGY

        Robert H. Gundry, MATTHEW: A COMMENTARY ON HIS HANDBOOK FOR A MIXED
        CHURCH UNDER PERSECUTION (1st ed. was subtitled A COMMENTARY ON HIS
        LITERARY AND THEOLOGICAL ART; the 2d ed. adds to it only a review of
        scholarship that appeared in the interim)

        Apropos a subject that's been previously discussed on the list, Matthew
        is the Gospel I have most difficulty making sense of on the terms of
        Richard Bauckham's thesis in THE GOSPELS FOR ALL CHRISTIANS; i.e., its
        message does seem primarily if not exclusively directed to Jewish
        Christians. I would be interested in whether others see the implied
        audience similarly.

        Jeff Peterson

      • Shawn J. Kelley
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 5 3:24 PM
          Jeff Peterson wrote:

          > Apropos a subject that's been previously discussed on the list, Matthew
          > is the Gospel I have most difficulty making sense of on the terms of
          > Richard Bauckham's thesis in THE GOSPELS FOR ALL CHRISTIANS; i.e., its
          > message does seem primarily if not exclusively directed to Jewish
          > Christians. I would be interested in whether others see the implied
          > audience similarly.

          I have had a similar reaction, in slightly different terms. I have a good
          feel for Mark's plot and sense of characterization, and a good feel for
          Luke's plot and sense of characterization. I also have a sense of how it
          is, in both Mark and Luke, the relationship between Jesus and the disciples
          fits into larger theological themes. I don't have such a sense for
          Matthew. I don't know if that is because Matthew is less amenable to
          literary analysis than is Mark and Luke, or if it is because I have yet to
          spend enough time with Matthew to read it on its own terms. After I finish
          what I'm working on, I hope to have time to decide which it is: Matthew or
          me.

          Shawn Kelley
          Daemen College

          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 5 4:16 PM
            On 5 Jul 2001, at 12:52, Steve Black wrote:

            > I am looking for suggestions as to what to look for regarding works on
            > GMatthew. If any one would be willing to submit a select bibliography
            > including two or three (or whatever) works that you believe to be most
            > important, that would be very helpful!

            I have a bibliography available for first year undergraduates in the
            section on "course materials" at:

            http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre/bibstud

            You'll have to scroll down a bit. The section headed "Tutorials"
            also has some specific bibliography on Matthew 1-2, 26-28,
            attitude to the Law etc.

            I would particularly recommend material by Ulrich Luz. Either
            _Matthew in History, Interpretation, Influence and Effects_ or _The
            Theology of the Gospel of Matthew_ are excellent; and Luz has
            used his work on Matthew to pioneer and develop
            Wirkungsgeschichte (history of influence / effects).

            Since I teach Matthew every year here, I'd be interested to hear
            others' opinions on what's worth reading too -- it's always a useful
            exercise.

            I have provided a section on internet resources on Matthew on the
            New Testament Gateway at:

            http://www.ntgateway.com/matthew/

            Mark
            -----------------------------
            Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
            University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
            Birmingham B15 2TT
            United Kingdom

            http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
            Homepage
            http://NTGateway.com
            The New Testament Gateway

            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 5 4:28 PM
              On 5 Jul 2001, at 17:16, Jeff Peterson wrote:

              > Apropos a subject that's been previously discussed on the list,
              > Matthew is the Gospel I have most difficulty making sense of on the
              > terms of Richard Bauckham's thesis in THE GOSPELS FOR ALL CHRISTIANS;
              > i.e., its message does seem primarily if not exclusively directed to
              > Jewish Christians. I would be interested in whether others see the
              > implied audience similarly.

              The difficulty with the Bauckham book, which I love, is that it really
              is only a beginning point and stops short of many of the interesting
              nitty-gritty questions and applications to particular Gospels. I
              understand what you are saying, though I would ask two obvious
              questions: (1) if Matthew is intended primarily or exclusively for
              Jewish Christians, what should one make of 28.19? and (2) if
              Matthew was intended primarily or exclusively for Jewish
              Christians, should we say that he has failed in this intention since
              the Gospel was so popular from so early on among so many?

              My own tentative view is that Matthew is Jewish Christian
              propoganda, written by a Jewish Christian who is effectively re-
              Judaizing Mark and Mark's Jesus, but it's propoganda that he
              thinks (rightly, as it turns out) will appeal to a wide target audience.
              Does that make any sense?

              Mark
              -----------------------------

              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 5 5:50 PM
                In a message dated 7/5/2001 6:17:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                peterson@... writes:

                << Apropos a subject that's been previously discussed on the list, Matthew
                is the Gospel I have most difficulty making sense of on the terms of
                Richard Bauckham's thesis in THE GOSPELS FOR ALL CHRISTIANS; i.e., its
                message does seem primarily if not exclusively directed to Jewish
                Christians. I would be interested in whether others see the implied
                audience similarly.>>

                Perhaps at the time Matthew wrote his gospel the expressions "for all
                Christians"
                and "for Jewish Christians" would have been virtually equivalent. It is the
                not-really- substantiated late dating for Matthew that causes this and other
                problems for the interpretation of the first Gospel. I don't think, for
                example, that there is the slightest hint in Matthew that there are
                Christians (Gentile Christians, say, in large, relatively autonomous
                communities) outside of Jewish Christianity. There is no indirect polemic
                against such, nor approval or legitimation of their presumed existence. They
                simply do not exist in the purview of the author, and the best explanation
                for this, since Matthew clearly has a global perspective, is that they did
                not yet exist historically. As soon as they do exist historically, we have a
                good idea what new shape a Gospel would have to take: we have the Gospel of
                Luke and Acts.

                I have always maintained that it is Mark's Gospel that least fits the
                Bauckham thesis. The reason for this is that Mark does not have a global, but
                rather an ecclesial (in the sense of a local, a house!) perspective. There
                are no scenes of world judgment in Mk, e.g., which we see reflected or even
                represented in many places in Matt. Only in the sense that there is something
                essential about the Christian life lived concretely in an individual
                community can Mark's Gospel be said to have been written for all Christians
                -- though even here, one must insist that Mk's primary audience is the not
                highly educated Christian lower classes (of Rome?). The lack of interest in
                Mark's Gospel that we see from the evidence of the Church's first five
                centuries is connected with the fact that our sources for these centuries are
                mostly the literary sources of the educated class -- who were therefore quite
                naturally attracted rather to the Gospels of Matthew and Luke, more than to
                Mark.

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 5 6:05 PM
                  At 08:50 PM 7/5/01 EDT, Maluflen@... wrote:
                  >I have always maintained that it is Mark's Gospel that least fits the
                  >Bauckham thesis.

                  I would understand Clement of Alexandria to feel same way,
                  because he contrasted the open publication of Matthew and
                  Luke with the more limited distribution of Mark.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 5 6:06 PM
                    In a message dated 7/5/2001 7:27:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    M.S.Goodacre@... writes:

                    << My own tentative view is that Matthew is Jewish Christian
                    propaganda, written by a Jewish Christian who is effectively re-
                    Judaizing Mark and Mark's Jesus, but it's propaganda that he
                    thinks (rightly, as it turns out) will appeal to a wide target audience.
                    Does that make any sense? >>

                    It is roughly the conclusion to which one must come, if one thinks that
                    Matthew wrote after Mark, and in light of the Wirkungsgeschichte of the two
                    Gospels. The re-Judaizing of a Markan Jesus by Matthew is, however, unlikely
                    enough in itself (especially for a Gospel destined to acquire world
                    popularity) that it should cause one to question the source model upon which
                    it is based. Certainly the un-Judaizing of an originally Jewish Jesus by a
                    late Mark makes far more sense in terms of the known historical development
                    of Christian understanding and thought. I realize that there is nothing new
                    in these comments, or in this entire exchange, for that matter: the issues
                    involved have been known and debated in similar fashion for a couple of
                    centuries at least. I continue to be impressed however with the strength of
                    the side of the argument I represent.

                  • Steve Black
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 5 7:52 PM
                      Firstly, thanks all for the various recommendations.

                      >Mark wrote
                      >My own tentative view is that Matthew is Jewish Christian
                      >propoganda, written by a Jewish Christian who is effectively re-
                      >Judaizing Mark and Mark's Jesus, but it's propoganda that he
                      >thinks (rightly, as it turns out) will appeal to a wide target audience.
                      > Does that make any sense?

                      By this, do you mean that you believe that Matthew was primarily
                      written evangelistically - to win converts?
                      --
                      Peace

                      Steve Black
                      Vancouver, BC

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 6 2:17 AM
                        On 5 Jul 2001, at 18:52, Steve Black wrote:

                        > By this, do you mean that you believe that Matthew was primarily
                        > written evangelistically - to win converts? -- Peace

                        No, not necessarily. Though I wouldn't want to rule out the thought
                        that it was used "evangelistically", I wonder whether Matthew is
                        attempting to propogate among Christians a more Torah-observant
                        Christian Judaism, in which the householder draws from his
                        treasure-chest both "the new" and "the old" (13.52). There is a
                        contrast with some other forms of early Christianity, and I would
                        agree with Leonard Maluf's comments to the extent that Matthew
                        does look, in some ways, like a re-primitivizing of the gospel story,
                        an attempt, perhaps, to re-Judaize, even "re-Jesuize" Jesus (for
                        want of better terms). What do you think?

                        Mark
                        -----------------------------
                        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
                        Birmingham B15 2TT
                        United Kingdom

                        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                        Homepage
                        http://NTGateway.com
                        The New Testament Gateway

                      • Karel Hanhart
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 6 3:22 AM
                          Mark Goodacre wrote:

                          > My own tentative view is that Matthew is Jewish Christian
                          > propoganda, written by a Jewish Christian who is effectively re-
                          > Judaizing Mark and Mark's Jesus, but it's propoganda that he
                          > thinks (rightly, as it turns out) will appeal to a wide target audience.
                          > Does that make any sense?

                          What do you understand by "re-Judaizing Mark". I realize that many don't
                          wish to identify the author of the second Gospel. Their assessment: they
                          simply don't know. I realize also that possibly a majority of critical
                          scholars are sure that this author, whom we call Mark, was not a Judean
                          (First Century Jew).
                          But isn't it true that by taking up that position they contradict the early
                          references to a (John) Mark in the Acts, the Epistles and Papias? I am
                          convinced that if we ever are to fathom the riddle of Mark's Gospel we
                          should begin by accepting the oldest tradition about him: "in dubio
                          traditio". In other words, we should abandon the Tübinger School in that
                          respect. To me the author is John Mark of Jerusalem, who worked with Peter
                          and Paul. Why deny that Peter was martyred in Rome; that John Mark, who
                          worked with Peter, wrote canonical Mark after the trauma of 70 and that his
                          gospel was accepted for the very reason he had worked with Peter and had
                          enetered Pauline ideas into his Gospel?
                          The term re-Judaizing isn't a happy one, since Mark could well have been the
                          one born in Jerusalem. I would rather believe that Matthew looked askance
                          at this Pauline trend of thought he detected in Mark. Not a tittle or
                          iota...
                          yours cordially
                          Karel Hanhart K.Hanhart@...

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 6 4:19 AM
                            In a message dated 7/6/2001 6:23:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            K.Hanhart@... writes:

                            << The term re-Judaizing isn't a happy one, since Mark could well have been
                            the
                            one born in Jerusalem. I would rather believe that Matthew looked askance
                            at this Pauline trend of thought he detected in Mark. Not a tittle or
                            iota... >>

                            Without necessarily questioning, in principle, your identification of the
                            author of Mk, I would suggest that your last comment here does not do full
                            justice to the sense in which Matt is often described as a re-Judaizing of
                            the gospel (by comparison to Mark). Matthew's consistent relating of Jesus'
                            identity and mission to Israel, his entirely unselfconscious Jewish
                            modalities of thought (explicit references to Torah, to Israel as a PEOPLE
                            and ITS leaders, etc.) have nothing directly to do with a possible resistance
                            to a Pauline trend of thought.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 6 6:17 AM
                              Mark Goodacre wrote --

                              >Since I teach Matthew every year here, I'd be interested to hear
                              >others' opinions on what's worth reading too -- it's always a useful
                              >exercise.

                              Mark,
                              I am sure many would be very interested to read your notes on the
                              course you give every year on Matthew at Birmingham, UK. Perhaps a book
                              on this one day?

                              _

                            • John Lupia
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 6 10:54 AM
                                Synoptic-L@...

                                Steve Black wrote:

                                I wonder if Mt would expect Gentile converts to be circumcised. The
                                issue isn't directly mentioned, but Mt's high view of the law might
                                suggest that he would see circumcision as a requirement.
                                --
                                Matthew 28,19 gives the Church formula for baptism. Yet, Acts 19,1-7
                                relates c. AD 54 that at Ephesus this formula was unheard of

                                Cordially in Christ,
                                John

                              • Steve Black
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 6 11:10 AM

                                  >Mark
                                  >No, not necessarily. Though I wouldn't want to rule out the thought
                                  >that it was used "evangelistically", I wonder whether Matthew is
                                  >attempting to propogate among Christians a more Torah-observant
                                  >Christian Judaism, in which the householder draws from his
                                  >treasure-chest both "the new" and "the old" (13.52). There is a
                                  >contrast with some other forms of early Christianity, and I would
                                  >agree with Leonard Maluf's comments to the extent that Matthew
                                  >does look, in some ways, like a re-primitivizing of the gospel story,
                                  >an attempt, perhaps, to re-Judaize, even "re-Jesuize" Jesus (for
                                  >want of better terms). What do you think?

                                  I think it (assuming Markan priority for a moment) clearer to suggest
                                  that Mt was "re-Judaizing" Mark's presentation rather than the
                                  "gospel story". The latter is too broad a series of possibilities to
                                  be useful. [ie. was he also re-Judaizing "Q", "M", and his
                                  community's living traditions?)

                                  If Mt wrote for a Jewish-Christian community, it can be assumed that
                                  they were already "Judaized". So I guess the question is to what
                                  degree Mt writes for Gentiles or for Jews.

                                  That Mt saw Gentiles as being included is clear - to what extent
                                  perhaps is not.

                                  I wonder if Mt would expect Gentile converts to be circumcised. The
                                  issue isn't directly mentioned, but Mt's high view of the law might
                                  suggest that he would see circumcision as a requirement.
                                  --
                                  Steve Black

                                  Dig deep for dreams, or you will be toppled by slogans...
                                  ee cummings

                                • Jeff Peterson
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 6 11:14 AM
                                    Mark Goodacre wrote:

                                    > The difficulty with the Bauckham book, which I love, is that it really
                                    > is only a beginning point and stops short of many of the interesting
                                    > nitty-gritty questions and applications to particular Gospels. I
                                    > understand what you are saying, though I would ask two obvious
                                    > questions: (1) if Matthew is intended primarily or exclusively for
                                    > Jewish Christians, what should one make of 28.19? and (2) if
                                    > Matthew was intended primarily or exclusively for Jewish
                                    > Christians, should we say that he has failed in this intention since
                                    > the Gospel was so popular from so early on among so many?

                                    28:19 clearly reflects approval and endorsement of a mission to Gentiles
                                    (adumbrated in the homage of the Magi, the centurion's servant, Isaiah
                                    42:4 apud 12:21, the Canaanitess, Jesus' prophecies in 24:14 and 26:13
                                    et al.), but on previous reading Mt has seemed addressed to Jewish
                                    churches/leaders engaged in mission to Gentiles rather than to churches
                                    themselves composed of Gentiles or their leadership.

                                    I suppose the passage that has loomed largest in this construction of
                                    the audience is 23:23, which I have taken as presupposing Torah
                                    observance as a norm among the recipients. But this may not distinguish
                                    carefully enough authorial setting/theology from implied recipents,
                                    which is of course one thing Bauckham et al. are asking us to do. You're
                                    of course right about the position THE GOSPELS FOR ALL CHRISTIANS holds,
                                    at the beginning of a discussion, not the end.

                                    > My own tentative view is that Matthew is Jewish Christian
                                    > propoganda, written by a Jewish Christian who is effectively re-
                                    > Judaizing Mark and Mark's Jesus, but it's propoganda that he
                                    > thinks (rightly, as it turns out) will appeal to a wide target audience.
                                    > Does that make any sense?

                                    I think so; maybe Matthew then contributed to the philoJudaism of
                                    Ignatius' opponents? Markus Bockmuehl's JEWISH LAW IN GENTILE CHURCHES
                                    (which I've seen but not had opportunity to read) may be of use here.

                                    Jeff

                                  • Jack Kilmon
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 6 11:28 AM
                                      > >No, not necessarily. Though I wouldn't want to rule out the thought
                                      > >that it was used "evangelistically", I wonder whether Matthew is
                                      > >attempting to propogate among Christians a more Torah-observant
                                      > >Christian Judaism, in which the householder draws from his
                                      > >treasure-chest both "the new" and "the old" (13.52). There is a
                                      > >contrast with some other forms of early Christianity, and I would
                                      > >agree with Leonard Maluf's comments to the extent that Matthew
                                      > >does look, in some ways, like a re-primitivizing of the gospel story,
                                      > >an attempt, perhaps, to re-Judaize, even "re-Jesuize" Jesus (for
                                      > >want of better terms). What do you think?
                                      >

                                      > I think it (assuming Markan priority for a moment) clearer to suggest
                                      > that Mt was "re-Judaizing" Mark's presentation rather than the
                                      > "gospel story". The latter is too broad a series of possibilities to
                                      > be useful. [ie. was he also re-Judaizing "Q", "M", and his
                                      > community's living traditions?)
                                      >
                                      > If Mt wrote for a Jewish-Christian community, it can be assumed that
                                      > they were already "Judaized". So I guess the question is to what
                                      > degree Mt writes for Gentiles or for Jews.
                                      >
                                      > That Mt saw Gentiles as being included is clear - to what extent
                                      > perhaps is not.
                                      >
                                      > I wonder if Mt would expect Gentile converts to be circumcised. The
                                      > issue isn't directly mentioned, but Mt's high view of the law might
                                      > suggest that he would see circumcision as a requirement.

                                      I think that the Matthean hagiographer wrote shortly after the institution
                                      of the
                                      Birkhat haMinim in 85 CE. As a Hellenistic Syrian Jew, he may have seen
                                      the Antiochene gentile participation in "the way" on a sharp increase and
                                      Jewish participation on a decline. His audience were Hellenistic Jews to
                                      whom he is saying, "Hey! This is a JEWISH thing." On the Markan priority
                                      issue, the very name of the Gospel appears to indicate that it utilized a
                                      source document thought to have been composed by the disciple Matthew,
                                      hence it would have been conventional at the time to transfer the apostolic
                                      "authority" of Matthew to the Gospel by giving it his name. This
                                      anthology/logia/"Q" would seem to confirm it as complementary to
                                      Luke's sayings source appears to me to have been an Aramaic document
                                      which, unlike the Matthean author, he translates himself. A Greek
                                      translation used by AMt and an Aramaic document used by ALk gives
                                      more credibility (to me) of a genuine "Q" and, by inference, Mark
                                      as a primary narrative source to both Matthew and Luke. Hence my
                                      viiew that first Mark + Aramaic Q ---->Luke (or proto-Luke) then
                                      Mark + Greek Q ---->Matthew. Matthew may not have been
                                      "re-judaizing" Mark as much as "re-judaizing" Luke.

                                      Jack

                                    • Steve Black
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 6 2:32 PM

                                        >--
                                        >Matthew 28,19 gives the Church formula for baptism. Yet, Acts 19,1-7
                                        >relates c. AD 54 that at Ephesus this formula was unheard of
                                        >incontrovertibly showing that Matthew must date no earlier than AD 55. Now
                                        >the point is that during the Fall or Winter of AD 49 the First Church
                                        >Council of Jerusalem settled the question of circumcision you have raised.
                                        >So, Matthew's Gospel, written by a high ranking member (apostle) of this
                                        >same Church never mentions the requirement for convert circumcision but ONLY
                                        >baptism in the formula found in Matthew 28,19.
                                        >
                                        >Cordially in Christ,
                                        John

                                        Your argument assumes historical accuracy for Acts 19, and Acts 15
                                        (the report of the council of Jerusalem). Acts was written from a
                                        distinctly pro-Paul position, and any historical kernel that is
                                        within it has inevitably been rung threw that "filter". There is also
                                        the well known conflicting presentations of the council of Jerusalem
                                        by Luke, and the one given by Paul himself in Gal. that calls Luke
                                        account into some doubt.

                                        All this aside, Galatians itself assumes that the issue wasn't really
                                        settled at the council! Why was Gal. written in the first place if
                                        not to combat Christians who were *still* saying that Gentiles needed
                                        to be circumcised?
                                        --
                                        Peace

                                        Steve Black
                                        Vancouver, BC

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 7 4:20 AM
                                          In a message dated 7/6/2001 2:32:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                          jkilmon@... writes:

                                          << I think that the Matthean hagiographer wrote shortly after the institution
                                          of the Birkhat haMinim in 85 CE. As a Hellenistic Syrian Jew, he may have
                                          seen
                                          the Antiochene gentile participation in "the way" on a sharp increase and
                                          Jewish participation on a decline. His audience were Hellenistic Jews to
                                          whom he is saying, "Hey! This is a JEWISH thing." >>

                                          This simply doesn't seem to me to be the KIND of Jewishness we find in
                                          Matthew. Matthew is not trying to MAKE the Jesus thing Jewish. There is
                                          nothing defensive or apologetic about Matthew's Jewishness; he takes fully
                                          for granted that the messianic community is the culmination of historical
                                          Judaism which has been brought to fulfillment in the person of their Messiah.
                                          The general trend of history since the time this document was produced has
                                          been to gradually dissociate Jesus from these strictly Jewish roots so as to
                                          heighten his appeal to non-Jewish adherents. This process may be seen already
                                          in the Gospel of Mark, with the use of the title "Son of God" for Jesus in a
                                          kind of detached way, i.e., in a way that does not clearly stress the
                                          connection of this title with Israel, its history and its writings.

                                        • Brian Tucker
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 7 5:10 AM
                                            Jack wrote:
                                            >> whom he is saying, "Hey! This is a JEWISH thing." >>

                                            Leonard Maluf responded:
                                            > The general trend of history since the time this document was produced has
                                            > been to gradually dissociate Jesus from these strictly Jewish roots so as
                                            > heighten his appeal to non-Jewish adherents. This process may be seen
                                            already
                                            > in the Gospel of Mark, with the use of the title "Son of God" for Jesus in
                                            > kind of detached way, i.e., in a way that does not clearly stress the
                                            > connection of this title with Israel, its history and its writings.

                                            Greetings,

                                            The son of God idea has possible Jewish connections and does not need to be
                                            divorced from its Second Temple context. 4Q246 (whether taken as a negative
                                            text (Ed Cook) or positive text (John Collins)).

                                            Here is the quote: 4Q246 2:1 "He will be called the Son of God, they will
                                            call him the son of the Most High..."

                                            It appears that the 'son of God' changes in Mark cannot a priori assume to
                                            be non-Jewish, though there may be other reasons for affirming such a shift.
                                            I would grant that he may not "stress" certain areas of "connection",
                                            however, there appears to be some precedent for 'son of God' in Jewish
                                            literature and thinking during the Second Temple.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Brian Tucker
                                            Riverview, MI
                                            Niqmmadu@...
                                            editor@...
                                            http://journalofbiblicalstudies.org

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 7 6:03 AM
                                              In a message dated 7/7/2001 8:10:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                              Niqmaddu@... writes:

                                              << It appears that the 'son of God' changes in Mark cannot a priori assume to
                                              be non-Jewish, though there may be other reasons for affirming such a shift.
                                              I would grant that he may not "stress" certain areas of "connection",
                                              however, there appears to be some precedent for 'son of God' in Jewish
                                              literature and thinking during the Second Temple.>>

                                              I agree with all of this, and never intended to say anything different. After
                                              all, Matthew too uses "son of God" in a variety of different contexts, but
                                              usually in ways that reflect more clearly than in Mark the background of the
                                              expression in the Jewish Scriptures and contemporary Judaism. The possible
                                              Hellenistic or Roman-imperial flavor of the expression in some Markan texts
                                              should not, as you say, be assumed a priori, but many scholars have at least
                                              thought, after working with the text of Mark, that such non-Jewish overtones
                                              are in fact present in some of Mark's texts ("son of God" seems in Mark to
                                              sometimes carry the general connotation of a "divine being", as in the
                                              Greco-Roman world). The Jewish overtones of the expression have not, however,
                                              been entirely forgotten or suppressed in Mark.

                                            • Brian Tucker
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 7 6:58 AM
                                                Leonard wrote:

                                                >> After all, Matthew too uses "son of God" in a variety of different
                                                contexts, but usually in ways that reflect more clearly than in Mark the
                                                background of the expression in the Jewish Scriptures and contemporary
                                                Judaism.>>

                                                I think you are absolutely correct. Not to divert from the main point,
                                                however, I am curious as to your understanding of the background of Luke's
                                                use in 1:32-33: 'He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most
                                                High...and of his kingdom there will be know end. Does this fit more in a
                                                Jewish mindset or a Hellenistic/Roman?

                                                >>...such non-Jewish overtones are in fact present in some of Mark's texts
                                                ("son of God" seems in Mark to sometimes carry the general connotation of a
                                                "divine being", as in the Greco-Roman world). >>

                                                It is interesting to note the differences in the usage of this phrase. If
                                                4Q246 was based on Antiochus IV (170 BCE) then the prevailing useage for a
                                                Jewish person would be negative, possibly. If one ignores the context (what
                                                little there is of 4Q246) and sees this as something about messiah (e.g. 2
                                                Sam 7:14) this would shed light on its useage.

                                                It may also be instructive to note Antiochus chosen name 'Epiphanes' (Gk.
                                                appearance) would not have had a positive reception by most Jews, however,
                                                it may have been more accepted in a Hellenistic/Roman setting. Cook remarks,
                                                "encapsulated [Epiphanes] the notion of a human king as God manifest. Such
                                                human pretensions to deity have never been welcome in Judaism and were
                                                condemned out of hand in the prophecies of Isa (14:12-21) and Ezekiel
                                                (28:1-10)." (1996:269)

                                                It is a wonder that either evangelist chose this potentially misunderstood
                                                term. Though it is beyond the scope of our current forum, this may be behind
                                                the misunderstanding of (John 10:33)?

                                                I am also curious as to how we determine the implied readers would have
                                                understood the nuanced useage of 'son of God' in its Hellenistic/Roman
                                                useage versus its Jewish useage?

                                                Also, without being pedantic which places to we see this sort of redaction
                                                occuring? I guess I'll look it up... :-) Assuming Markan priority; Matthew
                                                using Mark and that Luke using Matthew and Mark (Goulder/Goodacre).

                                                Thanks,
                                                Brian Tucker
                                                Riverview, MI
                                                Niqmaddu@...
                                                editor@...
                                                http://journalofbiblicalstudies.org

                                                The Jewish overtones of the expression have not, however,
                                                > been entirely forgotten or suppressed in Mark.
                                                >
                                                > Leonard Maluf

                                              • Tim Reynolds
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 7 9:22 PM
                                                  If Mt's wedding garment insertion isn't a circumcision ruling I can't
                                                  think what else it might be.

                                                  Tim Reynolds

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 8 3:18 AM
                                                    In a message dated 7/7/2001 10:00:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                    Niqmaddu@... writes:

                                                    << I think you are absolutely correct. Not to divert from the main point,
                                                    however, I am curious as to your understanding of the background of Luke's
                                                    use in 1:32-33: 'He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most
                                                    High...and of his kingdom there will be no end. Does this fit more in a
                                                    Jewish mindset or a Hellenistic/Roman?>>

                                                    I think this entire section of Luke fits in better with a Jewish mindset, but
                                                    nevertheless uses expressions that would be well received in the Greco-Roman
                                                    world as well. Fitzmyer points to parallels here to fragmentary evidence from
                                                    Qumran (so, more or less contemporary Judaism); there are also remote
                                                    biblical parallels to "he will be great" (cf. Gen 16:12), and for "of his
                                                    kingdom there will be no end" (Dan 7:14; Is 9:6); but Luke is, I think, also
                                                    aware of the fact that hUPSISTOS was a classical title for Zeus in the Greek
                                                    world as well. In other words, I don't have a point of view here that differs
                                                    greatly from fairly standard scholarly commentary on this verse.