[Synoptic-L] Prehistory of the Farrer Hypothesis

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 23, 2001
      Tim Reynolds wrote --

      >Am I correct in my belief that you are the only one to pull the codex
      >form, the Nomina and the ciphers into one package?

      Tim,
      The three phenomena all have to do with the practice of early
      Greek-speaking Christians, and are discussed in proximity by various
      people including C. H. Roberts, T. C. Skeat, H. Gamble, A. Millard and
      L. W. Hurtado. Different links between these three phenomena are
      considered by different thinkers. "One package" is not quite how I would
      describe anyone's approach including mine.

      I think the data we have concerning the codex format is inconclusive.
      From my view-point, the Nomina Sacra and cipher numbers could have been
      used in early Greek Christian writings produced in roll format. I think
      we need more data before we can decide whether the codex format was used
      from the outset.

      _