RE: Q on tape!

  • James R. Covey
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 13 7:49 AM
      re missive of 08/07/98 10:47 PM signed -Mark Goodacre- :

      >A professionally done audio tape of _The
      >Lost Gospel_ will no doubt sound better than, say, Sterling
      >Bjorndahl's internet version of the IQP Critical Text of Q. Internet
      >material on the machine we have at the University here comes over in
      >a Stephen Hawkins - type voice.

      What people don't seem to understand is that this is
      actually a *remix* tape. It's a project by DJ Q-Borg,
      also known as MixxMaster Markkus. He plundered two
      mostly-forgotten albums (classics, really) by first-
      century progressive rock artists for whatever vocal
      snippets would go over with a mass audience, and
      then looped those voice samples over some apocalyptic
      sound-effects in order to get that layered "retro" feel.
      He even sampled some cool "Satan" references to provide
      an ear-catching little overture. It's sure to make
      for a hit single and will definitely appeal to dance-
      format radio in a way that all that *old* crap never would.

      James

      P.S. Now that "Thomas" remix, that's *really* a work of art.
      Hundreds of hours of deconstructive tape-splicing.
      I hear that's it's actually John Oswald doing another
      Plunderphonics project under an assumed name.

      James R. Covey
      WWW Systems Developer
      Cochran Interactive Inc.
      http://www.cochran.com