Re: [Synoptic-L] Sleeping Disciples: Apostasy in Gethsemane, Part II

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2001
      In a message dated 6/12/2001 10:57:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      weedent@... writes:

      << There is no indication that 14:37-42 is designed
      to dramatize the protagonist's [Jesus'] metamorphosis, as if each prayer
      stage carried with it a new measure of insight, until at stage three Jesus
      has arrived at the supreme decision to take the cross upon himself."

      While interpreters often focus their attention on the Jesus prayer as the
      central point of the Gethsemane narrative, the way Mark has constructed this
      episode suggests that the Jesus-prayer stage only sets up the
      disciple-sleeping stage; and that is where, I am convinced, the ultimate
      message of this particular Gethsemane episode (14:32-42) is to [be] found.
      clearly in the foreground of the narrative interest, after Jesus' initial
      prayer, is stage two, the disposition of Jesus' three confidants who have
      been invited, apart from the other disciples, to support him in his time of
      introspection and wrestling with the divinely ordained fate that has been
      established for him (8:31; 9:31; 10:33f.). And I contend that this second
      stage is not only at the center of the narrator's interest-its principal
      theme, watching vs. sleeping, is already anticipated at the beginning of
      stage one with Jesus' charge to his disciples: "remain here and GRHGOREITE
      ("watch", 14:34)-but he also dramatizes it as a foil to the first stage. >>

      I think Weeden is probably correct on the specific question of the emphasis
      of this Markan pericope. On this point, I would like to make two further

      1. Such a shift of emphasis, from a christological to a pastoral-pragmatic
      concern, where the author's focus shifts to the psychology of a secondary
      character in a given narrative, and away from Jesus, is not unique to this
      pericope in Mark, but can be verified throughout most of Mark's Gospel,
      especially when its individual pericopes are compared to their respective
      Matthean parallels.

      2. This defining feature is at least consistent with (I would say even
      probative of) a late Mark. I think it is far more likely that the story of
      Jesus was first of all told with a Christological emphasis, and only
      thereafter [the well-known story was] "applied" in this dramatic and pastoral
      manner to the special concerns of particular Christian communities or to
      historically significant pastoral/apostolic issues (the Pauline "thing",
      e.g.). The common story of Jesus as told in the Synoptics is ultimately based
      on an intensely focused project of reading the known facts in the life of
      Jesus against the background of the OT and establishing (arguing!) Jesus'
      identity as Israel's Messiah on this basis. This was clearly the work of
      Matthew, and it ontologically precedes the later, applicational versions of
      the story that are found in Luke and Mark. Mark does not have to make the
      case that Jesus is the Christ: he and his readers can take that absolutely
      for granted from the very first words of his Gospel.

      As an overall criticism of this essay [though I note here that I have not yet
      read its first part], I would say that Weeden exaggerates the negative
      portrayal of the disciples. Mk 14:28, even if it was lifted almost verbatim
      from Matt, was retained by Mark, and it shows clearly that the Evangelist
      does not intend to portray definitive apostasy on the part of the Apostles.
      Their weaknesses, and even their "falls", are profound, but not to such an
      extent that they cannot and will not be reversed by grace, by the action of
      Jesus who will go before them to Galilee after his resurrection. To describe
      even Peter's dramatic denial of Jesus as "active collusion" with Jesus'
      arch-enemies is simply an exaggeration that Mark's story, taken as a whole,
      does not bear out. It is not possible to read Mark and to come away from the
      text thinking that Peter is no better than those who firmly and consistently
      oppose Jesus in the story (I realize, though, that "collusion" does not
      necessarily imply this). I think that Mark can make some powerful pastoral
      points to a community under threat of persecution and defection by shifting
      the focus of the well-known story of Jesus (found, in particular, in Matt)
      onto some of its secondary characters, and without undermining that story
      itself or irreparably damaging the reputation of even its most humanly weak
      and fallible protagonists. This is, in fact, what the general history of
      Gospel interpretation has shown to be the case (at least until Weeden).