[Synoptic-L] Interlocking verse method-3c

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001
      Richard Anderson wrote:

      >You have not addressed the passage in Luke 2:1-7 which I mentioned earlier.

      >In these days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that a registration
      should be taken of all the world.

      The various items you presented, though interesting and widely known for a
      long time, have no relationship to your own question!

      I recommend: Richard Carrier : The Date of the Nativity in Luke

      http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/quirinius.html

      Especially if you like epigraphy! I do not agree with almost every point
      Carrier makes but I respect him as a scholar and he cites all pertinent
      sources and covers all salient issues. So, I recommend his paper.

      It is self-evident that Lc 2,2 PROTOS means "before" since it is followed
      by a noun in the genitive (the genitive of comparison). The entire clause
      is in the genitive: HGEMONEUONTOS THS SURIAS KURHNIOU. Unfortunately, the
      word HGEMONEUONTOS is always taken not for a noun, but is mistaken as a
      verb in the present participle in the genitive case. HGEMONEUMA is the
      feminine noun and HGEMONEUS is the masculine, and HGEMONEUONTOS is the
      genitive of the noun, not the verb. So, Luke tells us Jesus was born during
      a census taken before that of the governorship of Quirinius in Syria. He is
      referring to the second census of Octavian in 20-19 BC. That was when
      Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa was governor of Syria (23-12 BC). Although he was
      governor he never lived there. He ruled the East through legates. When the
      second census was taken M. V. Agrippa was off in France gighting the
      Cantabrians and built the famous Pont du Garde at Nîmes. Does Luke refer to
      Quirinius as a legate of M. V. Agrippa in Syria during this census? No. He
      merely says that it w:"this one, not that one".sayingas prior to AD 6
      pointing to the twenty-six year older one. This was a technique historians
      used, which in essence was saying: "this one, not that one".

      In Carrier's fine paper cited above he too takes HGEMONEUONTOS as a verb:
      present participle in the genitive case. Too bad Richard (Carrier, I mean)!

      Peace in Christ,

      John
      <><

      John N. Lupia
      501 North Avenue B-1
      Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
      JLupia2@...

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
      . unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
      they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001
        In a message dated 6/5/2001 2:55:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        jlupia2@... writes:

        << I recommend: Richard Carrier : The Date of the Nativity in Luke

        http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/quirinius.html>>

        John, thanks for this. I've only glanced quickly at it so far, but plan to
        read it through when I get a chance. So far Carrier is defending a point of
        view that I had hoped to write on, making the same claim and argument that he
        makes in the early part of the article. Maybe I won't have to write the
        article after all! I hate redundancy in scholarship.