RE: [Synoptic-L] Interlocking verse method-3

  • Richard Anderson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
      You have not addressed the passage in Luke 2:1-7 which I mentioned earlier.

      In these days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that a registration
      should be taken of all the world.

      We know from an inscription from Paphlagonia in Asia Minor - cf. Lewis and
      Reinhold, Roman Civilization, Source Book II, pp. 34-35 - that in
      3 BC all the people took an oath of allegiance to Augustus. The same oath is
      also reported by the Armenian historian Moses of Khorene, and by the
      later historian Orosius.

      In Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, 17.4.32, there is a report that some
      6,000 individuals refused to give assurances of their good will to Caesar.
      This passage suggest that Caesar Augustus had ordered some sort of oath of
      obedience or registration of Judaea about 3-4 B.C. and some people refused
      to give the oath.

      Augustus was to receive the great title of Pater Patriae on Feb. 5, 2 BC. I
      believe that Augustus issued the decree requiring a registration, perhaps in
      3 B.C. and this is the registration meant by Luke. Because of the absence
      of Varus due to these festivities, Quirinius would have been acting as
      governor.

      Richard H. Anderson
      Wallingford PA
      http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke