[Synoptic-L] Seneca referral

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2001
      Leonard Maluf wrote:

      I just stumbled on a work, posted on the net, entitled "The Gospel according

      to Seneca". A few questions:

      1. Has anyone else seen it?
      2. Any information on who the authors are (Livio Stecchini and Jan Sammer).
      3. Date of the work? Has it been published in hard copy?
      4. Preliminary critiques?

      I have read just enough to attest that it is a genuine work of scholarship,
      in spite of the strangeness of the title (which indeed reflects its
      contents). I would be very curious to hear some reactions to it, if anyone
      else has read the work. If you haven't, take a peak. Es wuerde sich lohnen.

      No, Leonard, it is not worthwhile. Unless you think that Seneca wrote the
      passion narratives for Mark. Perhaps Boismard was onto something and it was
      Seneca who was his Lucan redactor?? Maybe Lucian was Luke? Getting back to
      reality . . . if you'd like to read this stuff go to the URL:

      http://www.metrum.org/gosen/

      Leonard, one of the key tenets is:

      "Was it Seneca who wrote the tragedy on the passion of Jesus that the
      evangelists used in constructing their narratives? A question such as this
      can never be answered with certitude. It can be, however, adopted as a
      working hypothesis, whose success can be judged by the extent to which it
      helps solve the innumerable enigmas of the passion narratives."

      Peace in Christ,
      John
      <><

      John N. Lupia
      501 North Avenue B-1
      Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
      JLupia2@...

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
      . unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
      they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16