[Synoptic-L] New Roads Beyonf the Synoptic Impasse:8

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29 8:56 AM
      Synoptic-L@...

      New Roads Beyonf the Synoptic Impasse:

      Part 8

      Robert, I am very pleased that you asked the question about the difference
      between James Zebedee and James the brother of the Lord. I think I have an
      answer for you that would satisfy both of us. The problem is this: Are
      these two different men consistently in the literature? Some scholars
      consider both sons of Zebedee to be Jesus' cousins, hence James the brother
      of the Lord would signify him. In this prosopographical reconstruction
      Mary/Salome is considered to be the sister of Mary the mother of Jesus.

      Mc 6,3
      Gal 1,19

      Both of these are consistent with John's brother James as a blood relative
      to Jesus through Jesus' aunt Mary-Salome. I believe this reconstruction is
      correct, and that James the brother of the Lord is John's brother.

      If you think this is difficult how about this: John 1,35-42 might refer to
      John talking with his cousin John the Baptist while John Zebedee was with
      his son Andrew. This would make Peter and Andrew John the Evangelist's
      children. In fact, such a reconstruction is plausible. So the three
      pillars Peter, John and James were a family nucleus and all blood relatives
      of Jesus!

      Regardless, my main purpose of the posting was to show that of the two sons
      of Zebedee: St. James, the younger brother of St. John, is the individual
      whom I see as a candidate for Au-Luke. If St. James wrote the Gospel of
      Luke and the first part of Acts 1-11,18 as I suggest, and presented it to
      Theophilus the High Priest sometime between AD 37-41, then this bold act may
      have lead to his martyrdom a few years later.

      It is very difficult to draw a propsopography of St. John's younger brother,
      St. James, from ancient records. The greatest difficulty is the mass
      confusion associated with the name James. Regarding only two different men
      or perhaps three there are numerous titles which all get very mixed up among
      the ancient authors as well as modern scholarship: James the less, James the
      great, James the elder, James the Younger, James the Taller, James the
      Shorter, James the Just, James the brother of the Lord. This is why I
      posted the following:

      >St. James suffered martyrdom A.D. 43 (Acts 12,2), and, according to the
      >tradition of the early Church, he had not yet left Jerusalem at this time
      >(cf. Clement of Alexandria, "Strom.", VI, Apollonius, quoted by Euseb.,
      >"Hist. Eccl." VI, xviii).

      Wrong James? I think so. Bad history? More likely!

      As I afore said my main intention was to identify John's brother James as
      Au-Luke. I put forth a smattering of citations for St. James, not all of
      which I am certain about, nor do I find important or necessary to my thesis.
      I certainly do not expect nor do I care to resolve the problem of the
      confusion among ancient authors. My interest in their citations was to show
      how mythological -like stories emerged about the first men to have seen
      Jesus. I have often found the Patristic authors unreliable regarding
      historical reconstructions, and they're of little use to historians outside
      of showing what they thought. We have no way of telling how all of these
      fanciful accounts emerged ( where, when and why?). We can speculate without
      end regarding these but it is all unproductive. I hope you better
      appreciate that "James" whenever encountered in the literature both ancient
      and modern must be highly scrutinized and you will see that the confusion is
      sometimes unclear and insoluble. Take nothing for granted, and always
      question sources.

      Peace in Christ,
      John
      <><

      John N. Lupia
      501 North Avenue B-1
      Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
      JLupia2@...

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
      . unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
      they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16