Sermon on the Mount & narrative chronology

  • Dennis C. Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 1998
      Jim Deardorff wrote:

      One more (question): If the disciple Matthew did not become one of the
      Twelve until Mt
      9:9, how did he become aware of all the sayings within the earlier Sermon on
      the Mount to write about them? ("George" got the order of events all wrong?)

      Just a suggestion in this regard: I have thought for some time that the
      sermon on the mount/plain, as well as other teachings of Jesus found in the
      Gospels, would almost certainly not have been "one-shot" deals. This
      material would have been repeated as the peripatetic teacher spoke in
      different localities, and in different synagogues. Obviously, we can't prove
      this from the accounts, since a writer would have little reason to repeat
      material already covered.

      This premise lends credibility to the Gospel "sayings" accounts by allowing
      for a more reliable oral tradition, or for better recollection in the case
      of those who may have recorded early eye-witness reports. Rather than being
      dependent on quick memorization at one hearing, those disciples who
      traveled with Jesus would have had a number of opportunities to "get it
      right".

      Looking at the sermons and parables from this perspective helps to overcome
      the problem of the placement of teaching pericopes within narrative
      chronologies in the Gospels. I guess this is where the concept of Q as the
      logia fits in as a possible source for many sayings...

      I suppose there have been some scholarly discussions on this subject--I just
      haven't run across them yet.

      Regards,

      Dennis Sullivan skalar systems Dayton, Ohio