Re: [Synoptic-L] Jesus, Mary and Joseph (was Re: the Gospel of Matthew has no...

    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2001
      In a message dated 5/3/2001 11:40:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      M.S.Goodacre@... writes:

      << > In what three consecutive Gospel verses do we find the names Jesus,
      > Mary, and Joseph, in that order?
      >
      > Further conditions and hints:
      >
      > 1. "Jesus" does not refer to Joshua in the text in question;
      > 2. "Mary" refers to the mother of Jesus;
      > 3. "Joseph" occurs in the precise phrase: "and Joseph".

      Difficult to resist some trivia, not least if it gives me the chance to
      test resources on my All-in-One Biblical site! I can do it in two
      verses -- Matt. 1.18-19. Will that do?>>

      Sorry, this doesn't fulfill condition 3. I should say that even though my
      question was asked in English, I am of course talking about the gospel texts
      in Greek.

    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2001
        Mat 13:53-55
        but only in the Egyptian text, not in the Byzantine text, which has IWSHS.

        Best wishes
        Wieland
        <><
        ------------------------
        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2001
          On 3 May 2001, at 12:41, Maluflen@... wrote:

          > Difficult to resist some trivia, not least if it gives me the chance
          > to test resources on my All-in-One Biblical site! I can do it in two
          > verses -- Matt. 1.18-19. Will that do?>>
          >
          > Sorry, this doesn't fulfill condition 3. I should say that even though
          > my question was asked in English, I am of course talking about the
          > gospel texts in Greek.

          What rot! I did my search in Greek. Matt. 1.18 Jesus / Mary;
          Matt. 1.19 IWSHF DE!

          So where's my prize? : )
          Mark
          -----------------------------
          Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
          University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
          Birmingham B15 2TT
          United Kingdom

          http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
          Homepage
          http://NTGateway.com
          The New Testament Gateway

          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2001
            In a message dated 5/3/2001 4:34:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            willker@...-bremen.de writes:

            << Mat 13:53-55
            but only in the Egyptian text, not in the Byzantine text, which has IWSHS.

            Just for the record, Willker got it right -- congratulations! (And sorry,
            Mark!)

            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2001
              In a message dated 5/3/2001 4:59:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              M.S.Goodacre@... writes:

              << What rot! I did my search in Greek. Matt. 1.18 Jesus / Mary;
              Matt. 1.19 IWSHF DE! >>

              On second thought, and in light of the fact that my note was written in
              English, this really comes pretty close to satisfying all conditions. Of
              course by "and Joseph", I really meant KAI IWSEF, but... OK, you can share
              first prize with Willker.