[Synoptic-L] re:structuteless?

  • Douglas Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 11:41 AM

      Brian's Wilson said:

      > The
      observed
      > phenomenon is that Matthew is structureless. This is a
      difficulty for
      > synoptic hypotheses that suppose that Matthew was a free
      author
      > creatively crafting his own book, since one would expect that a
      literary
      > author would provide a clear structure for his
      work.

      Sean Kelley noted:

      >Why would one expect that?

      snip

      >The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (by Joyce, which has any number of proposed structures, none of which can account for chapter 5), >

      If memory serves, "Stephen Hero" included over 1000 pages, the last 600 pages of which are lost.  At one point Joyce wanted to burn the manuscript because he was unsatisfied with it, but one of his sisters pulled it out of the fire. He later rewrote it and renamed it "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man".

      Now, when some researcher two thousand years hence is doing redaction criticism on "Portrait" in ignorance of this, I wonder what her "re: structure" posts on Joyce-L  might propose.

      Douglas Fitzpatrick
      Houston Graduate School of Theology

      Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
      --Redd Foxx