Re: Lukan context of the LP

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 1998
      Edgar Krentz wrote:

      > Jeff, just a quick bibliographic not e.
      >
      > Do you know THE LORD'S PRAYER, Supplementary Issue No. 2 to The Princeton
      > Seminary Bulletin? It was published in 1992, a report on the 1991 Frederick
      > Neumann Symposium on the Theological Interpretation of Scripture.
      >
      > And then, one substantive comment. I find in Jesus' words both the
      > conviction that the Kingdom was among them and that it still lies in the
      > [immediate] future? You seem to regard that as impossible. Such enigmatic
      > seeming contradictions arecharacteristic of his words.
      >
      > And it seems to me that is also true in 2 Isaiah. Comment?

      Edgar,

      I am aware of the Princeton Publication, but neither Loyola nor
      Garrett/Seabury Western (the libraries that are most accessible for me)
      have the work, so I haven't been able to take its contents into account.

      As to the imminent/future Kingdom issue: my view is that Jesus see the
      kingdom as future as well as present. But the future aspect of the
      kingdom had nothing to do with the end of space/time. Rather, much like
      Jeremiah's Day of the Lord language, it is a way of expressing a sense
      of what is likely to happen historically to Israel if it does not
      realize that it is now in a time of crisis and needs to take the way out
      of it that Jesus offers.

      The real question, though, is *whatever* Jesus' eschatology was, why
      should we think that it is the focus of the prayer when the material
      which contextualizes it is concerned with girding and guarding the
      disciples against falling into line with "this generation", when
      petitioning God for help to remain faithful is what Jesus tells the
      disciples to do when he urges other petitionary prayers upon them, and
      when (as I've argued previously in various postings to this and other
      lists) the LP petitions seem to make more sense as calls for help to
      remain faithful than for the bestowal into the now of the blesssings of
      the end time.

      Yours, in continual debate

      Jeffrey
      --