Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: End Thread: On Papias

    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2001
      On 2 May 2001, at 9:17, Wieland Willker wrote:

      > > After consultation with one another, the coordinators have decided
      > > to shut down the thread "On Papias" due to complaints about the tone
      > > of the messages. Please send no more messages on this thread.
      >
      > I strongly disagree. I have found all this very interesting and
      > encourage everybody to keep on posting on this subject! Mark come on,
      > this is silly!

      The decision was a consensus among the coordinators and was
      taken as the result of careful discussion and review of the
      messages in the light of off-list complaints.

      It is always helpful to receive feedback on matters of discipline like
      this, but I would be grateful if in future such comments were sent to
      the coordinators off-list. I hope that I do not need to point out that
      encouraging list members to disregard a request to end a thread is
      unwelcome, and that the vocabulary used to characterise the
      decision here might have been better chosen.

      Mark
      -----------------------------
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT
      United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      Homepage
      http://NTGateway.com
      The New Testament Gateway

    • JFAlward@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2001
        M.S.Goodacre@... writes:

        <<
        The decision was a consensus among the coordinators and was
        taken as the result of careful discussion and review of the
        messages in the light of off-list complaints.

        It is always helpful to receive feedback on matters of discipline like
        this, but I would be grateful if in future such comments were sent to
        the coordinators off-list. I hope that I do not need to point out that
        encouraging list members to disregard a request to end a thread is
        unwelcome, and that the vocabulary used to characterise the
        decision here might have been better chosen.

        ===========
        Perhaps if the coordinators would explain more fully the reasons for their
        decisions, and the criteria we might expect to be applied in the future, we
        all might have a better understanding of the types of correspondences that
        will be forbidden. I can't help but sympathize with another correspondent
        who disagreed with the decision of the list moderators. I had no interest in
        the Papias thread, but after seeing the order to desist from further comment,
        I was curious as to what had led to such an extraordinary demand, and was
        expecting to find posts filled with ad hominem arguments and groundless
        speculation. I found just the opposite. I'm frankly astonished at the
        moderators' decision. Are they aware of the chilling effect this kind of
        treatment of subscribers will have? I am getting the impression that the
        moderators are trying to guide the discussion along channels which fit their
        preconceived notion of where biblical research should be heading. It just
        seems too heavy-handed and elitist to me.

        Joseph F. Alward, PhD
        Assistant Professor
        Department of Physics
        University of the Pacific
        Stockton California USA
        email: JFAlward@...

        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2001
          I am sorry to see that my politely worded message of earlier today
          has not been treated with respect by one subscriber. In over three
          years of Synoptic-L I don't think I can recall ever having to write two
          emails shutting down a thread, let alone -- as has happened this
          time -- three. Let me therefore emphasise that (1) a request from
          the coordinators to end a thread should always be honoured; (2)
          requests from the coordinators to direct correspondence
          concerning issues off-list should also be honoured; (3) it is
          expected of all subscribers that they act with the kind of discretion
          and forethought that is befitting to an academic list like ours.

          Mark Goodacre