[Synoptic-L] Re: End Thread: On Papias

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2001
      > After consultation with one another, the coordinators have decided
      > to shut down the thread "On Papias" due to complaints about the
      > tone of the messages. Please send no more messages on this
      > thread.

      I strongly disagree. I have found all this very interesting and encourage everybody to
      keep on posting on this subject! Mark come on, this is silly!

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2001
        On 2 May 2001, at 9:17, Wieland Willker wrote:

        > > After consultation with one another, the coordinators have decided
        > > to shut down the thread "On Papias" due to complaints about the tone
        > > of the messages. Please send no more messages on this thread.
        >
        > I strongly disagree. I have found all this very interesting and
        > encourage everybody to keep on posting on this subject! Mark come on,
        > this is silly!

        The decision was a consensus among the coordinators and was
        taken as the result of careful discussion and review of the
        messages in the light of off-list complaints.

        It is always helpful to receive feedback on matters of discipline like
        this, but I would be grateful if in future such comments were sent to
        the coordinators off-list. I hope that I do not need to point out that
        encouraging list members to disregard a request to end a thread is
        unwelcome, and that the vocabulary used to characterise the
        decision here might have been better chosen.

        Mark
        -----------------------------
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT
        United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        Homepage
        http://NTGateway.com
        The New Testament Gateway

      • JFAlward@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2001
          M.S.Goodacre@... writes:

          <<
          The decision was a consensus among the coordinators and was
          taken as the result of careful discussion and review of the
          messages in the light of off-list complaints.

          It is always helpful to receive feedback on matters of discipline like
          this, but I would be grateful if in future such comments were sent to
          the coordinators off-list. I hope that I do not need to point out that
          encouraging list members to disregard a request to end a thread is
          unwelcome, and that the vocabulary used to characterise the
          decision here might have been better chosen.

          ===========
          Perhaps if the coordinators would explain more fully the reasons for their
          decisions, and the criteria we might expect to be applied in the future, we
          all might have a better understanding of the types of correspondences that
          will be forbidden. I can't help but sympathize with another correspondent
          who disagreed with the decision of the list moderators. I had no interest in
          the Papias thread, but after seeing the order to desist from further comment,
          I was curious as to what had led to such an extraordinary demand, and was
          expecting to find posts filled with ad hominem arguments and groundless
          speculation. I found just the opposite. I'm frankly astonished at the
          moderators' decision. Are they aware of the chilling effect this kind of
          treatment of subscribers will have? I am getting the impression that the
          moderators are trying to guide the discussion along channels which fit their
          preconceived notion of where biblical research should be heading. It just
          seems too heavy-handed and elitist to me.

          Joseph F. Alward, PhD
          Assistant Professor
          Department of Physics
          University of the Pacific
          Stockton California USA
          email: JFAlward@...

          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2001
            I am sorry to see that my politely worded message of earlier today
            has not been treated with respect by one subscriber. In over three
            years of Synoptic-L I don't think I can recall ever having to write two
            emails shutting down a thread, let alone -- as has happened this
            time -- three. Let me therefore emphasise that (1) a request from
            the coordinators to end a thread should always be honoured; (2)
            requests from the coordinators to direct correspondence
            concerning issues off-list should also be honoured; (3) it is
            expected of all subscribers that they act with the kind of discretion
            and forethought that is befitting to an academic list like ours.

            Mark Goodacre