Re: [Synoptic-L] the Gospel of Matthew has no clear structure

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2001
      Brian Wilson wrote:

      >Is it true that the gospel of Matthew has no clear structure?

      Brian,

      Strictly, the answer must be that it has no clear structure. For if it
      had a clear structure, everyone would agree on it.
      About 45% of the 30 commentators whose structures I have noted agree
      with Bacon that there are five sets of narrative & discourse plus a
      prologue and an epilogue. But there are many minor variations from
      Bacon's boundaries.

      However this ought to be put into context. The roughly 45% support for
      Bacon or something similar represents a much higher score for what is
      essentially a two-level structure than for any other NT book. In other
      words the two-level structure of Matthew, if Bacon was roughly right (as
      I'm convinced he was), is far clearer than that of any other NT book.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...

      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2001
        In a message dated 5/1/2001 2:34:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        brian@... writes:

        << Leonard,
        You seem to be saying that the gospel of Matthew has more than
        one clear structure!

        I do not see any clear structure myself. Nor do Davis and Alison in
        their commentary on Matthew. >>

        No, I think the problem for most scholars really is that there are more than
        one likely structural principles involved in structuring the Gospel of Matt
        and that therefore there is some difficulty in deciding between them as to
        which should be assigned priority. Whether this makes these structures less
        "clear" or not is another question, but I could admit that it does in a
        sense, without backing down from the general observation of a number of valid
        structural principles that have been detected, including the threefold
        structure, popularized by Kingsbury inter alios, and based on the formula:
        "from then on Jesus began..." in 4:17 and 16:21.

        << I would suggest the reason is that Matthew is based on a structure-less
        document.>>

        I don't see how it would follow logically from this hypothesis, even if it
        were true, that Matthew would have no clear structure.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2001
          At 09:32 PM 5/1/01 EDT, Maluflen@... wrote:
          ><< I would suggest the reason is that Matthew is based on a structure-less
          > document.>>
          >
          >I don't see how it would follow logically from this hypothesis, even if it
          >were true, that Matthew would have no clear structure.

          I've got a different logical problem. If Matthew's having no
          clear structure implies that it is based on a structure-less
          document, then what about that structure-less document? By
          the same reasoning, it too must be based on a structure-less
          document. This is an infinite regress.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2001
            Brian Wilson wrote --

            >I would suggest the reason [for Matthew being structure-less] is that
            >Matthew is based on a structure-less document.

            Leonard Maluf replied --

            >I don't see how it would follow logically from this hypothesis, even if
            >it were true, that Matthew would have no clear structure.

            Leonard,
            I entirely agree. I was not making a logical deduction from the
            hypothesis that Matthew used a structureless documentary source. I was
            putting forward my hypothesis (that Matthew used a structureless
            documentary source) as the reason I would suggest why the gospel of
            Matthew is observed to be structureless. If Matthew largely followed the
            wording and order of material of a structureless documentary source,
            then this would account for the gospel of Matthew being structureless.

            Stephen Carlson commented --

            >I've got a different logical problem. If Matthew's having no clear
            >structure implies that it is based on a structure-less document, then
            >what about that structure-less document? By the same reasoning, it too
            >must be based on a structure-less document. This is an infinite
            >regress.

            Stephen,
            Matthew's having no clear structure does not imply that it is
            based on a structure-less document. Matthew having no clear structure is
            an observed synoptic phenomenon. You cannot deduce a documentary
            hypothesis from an observed synoptic phenomenon. As I hope I have made
            clear above, I have not tried to do the impossible.

            I think it may be worth pursuing this a little further. Much writing on
            the synoptic problem refers to "arguments" concerning documentary
            hypotheses of the relationship between the synoptic gospels. The
            suggestion seems to be that there are logical arguments for showing, for
            instance, that Matthew is a documentary descendant of Mark, or that
            Matthew and Luke independently used hypothetical Q.

            I would suggest, however, that no synoptic documentary hypothesis can be
            logically deduced from observed synoptic phenomena. A hypothesis is not
            the conclusion at the end of a chain of deductive reasoning (like the
            conclusion of a proof of a theorem in Euclidian geometry). It is the
            beginning of an investigation without which the hypothesis is an
            unsubstantiated guess.

            The question is not whether Matthew's having no clear structure implies
            that it based on a structureless document, but whether the hypothesis
            that Matthew used a structureless documentary source is supported by the
            observed synoptic phenomena.

            _

            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2001
              >The question is not whether Matthew's having no clear structure implies
              >that it based on a structureless document, but whether the hypothesis
              >that Matthew used a structureless documentary source is supported by the
              >observed synoptic phenomena.

              I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by "is
              supported by." You deny now that it means "is implied by."
              I didn't think it meant merely "is consistent with", because
              an earlier message of yours, on 6 March 2001, criticized Leonard
              Maluf as follows:

              >It is no good merely showing how brilliantly the Griesbach Hypothesis
              >can be applied to the synoptic gospels to produce a breath-takingly
              >consistent explanation of how Luke wrote his gospel, when the Two
              >Document Hypothesis, and other synoptic hypotheses also, can be just as
              >brilliantly applied to the synoptic gospels and shown to produce equally
              >breath-taking results.

              It seems to me that much the same thing is now happening with
              the arguable observation of Matthew's having no clear structure
              as "support[ing]" the hypothesis that Matthew used a structureless
              document.

              Have I misunderstood what you are doing now and your earlier
              criticism of Leonard?

              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2001
                Brian Wilson wrote --

                >The question is not whether Matthew's having no clear structure
                >implies that it based on a structureless document, but whether the
                >hypothesis that Matthew used a structureless documentary source is
                >supported by the observed synoptic phenomena.

                Stephen Carlson replied --

                >I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by "is supported
                >by." You deny now that it means "is implied by." I didn't think it
                >meant merely "is consistent with", because an earlier message of yours,
                >on 6 March 2001, criticized Leonard Maluf as follows:
                >
                >>It is no good merely showing how brilliantly the Griesbach Hypothesis
                >>can be applied to the synoptic gospels to produce a breath-takingly
                >>consistent explanation of how Luke wrote his gospel, when the Two
                >>Document Hypothesis, and other synoptic hypotheses also, can be just
                >>as brilliantly applied to the synoptic gospels and shown to produce
                >>equally breath-taking results.
                >
                >It seems to me that much the same thing is now happening with
                >the arguable observation of Matthew's having no clear structure
                >as "support[ing]" the hypothesis that Matthew used a structureless
                >document.
                >
                >Have I misunderstood what you are doing now and your earlier
                >criticism of Leonard?

                Stephen,
                Thanks for asking these questions. I think they are very
                important. I would suggest that you are misunderstanding what I am doing
                now, and my criticism of Leonard earlier.

                I think the most useful way I can reply to you is first to set out a
                statement of my view on this generally, and then come back to the
                particular questions you raise.

                In my view, it is impossible to deduce from the phenomena observed in a
                synopsis that any synoptic gospel is the documentary descendant of any
                other synoptic gospel. If we assume, for the sake of argument, that we
                observe in the synoptic gospels fatigue on the part of Matthew in
                relation to Mark, or that the language of Mark is more vivid and more
                primitive than the corresponding language of Matthew in parallel
                passages, then it simply does not follow that therefore Matthew is a
                documentary descendant of Mark. The observed phenomena are just as
                consistent with Matthew not being a documentary descendant of Mark and
                with both Matthew and Mark being descendants of a common documentary
                source. This line of reasoning could be generalized to show that it is
                not possible to deduce from observed synoptic phenomena that any
                synoptic gospel is the documentary descendant of any other synoptic
                gospel, or the descendant of a hypothetical documentary source posited
                by a particular synoptic documentary hypothesis. In other words, this
                line of reasoning can be generalized to show that no synoptic
                documentary hypothesis can be deduced from observed synoptic phenomena.
                In short --

                >Result (1): No synoptic documentary hypothesis can be deduced from any
                >observed synoptic phenomena. (In other words, no observed synoptic
                >phenomena logically imply any synoptic documentary hypothesis.)

                So, how can a synoptic documentary hypothesis be arrived at? If not by
                deduction from observed phenomena, then from what? The answer is that
                any synoptic documentary hypothesis is an invention of the mind. It is a
                guess:

                >Result (2): A synoptic documentary hypothesis is a guess at what
                >happened when the synoptic gospels were written.

                Now it is not true that one guess is as good as any another. The guess
                that the earth is flat and is fixed in space has been accepted by
                millions of people, as Galileo knew only too well. If you are in a
                space station looking down on the earth, a better guess is that earth is
                approximately spherical and that it is moving through space. The second
                guess is better because the first has difficulty in fitting the observed
                data (an observably "round earth" which rotates relative to the sun
                producing the alternation of day and night every twenty-four hours in
                New York, but not at the poles), whereas the second guess does not have
                such difficulties in explaining what is observed from the space station.
                Similarly, one synoptic documentary guess, or hypothesis, can be
                preferable to a second synoptic documentary hypothesis if the second has
                difficulties explaining the observed synoptic phenomena whereas the
                first has no difficulties in doing so. On this basis, a Deutero-Mark
                Hypothesis that accounts for the minor agreements of Matthew and Luke
                against Mark is preferable to a (well-defined) Two Document Hypothesis
                that has difficulty in accounting for these minor agreements. So:

                >Result (3): One synoptic documentary hypothesis can be shown to be
                >preferable to a second synoptic documentary hypothesis, if the second
                >has difficulties in accounting for the observed synoptic phenomena
                >whereas the first does not.

                Now suppose we have actually found a synoptic documentary hypothesis
                that has no difficulties with the observed synoptic phenomena, whereas
                the other hypotheses considered do have such difficulties, then the
                hypothesis we have found can be accepted as the best one available to
                us:

                >Result (4): We should accept as the best available, the synoptic
                >documentary hypothesis that has no difficulties in accounting for the
                >observed synoptic phenomena whereas others do have difficulties.

                Once we have accepted that a particular synoptic documentary hypothesis
                is the best available to us, we can apply this hypothesis to the
                synoptic gospels. Believe it or not, there is a point in trying to
                solve the synoptic problem! We can apply this hypothesis only by
                assuming that it is true. Everything obtained by applying the hypothesis
                will therefore be absolutely consistent with the documentary hypothesis
                with which we start. For example, if we take the Griesbach Hypothesis
                to be the best available hypothesis for us, then the more vivid language
                in Mark (when compared with parallel passages in Matthew) is clearly the
                result of the editorial activity of Mark in his use of material from
                Matthew. So, by applying the GH, we arrive at the conclusion that Mark
                has deliberately "vivified" the wording of his source material in
                Matthew. Clearly, very different results are going to be obtained if we
                take the Farrer Hypothesis to be the best available hypothesis for us.
                On that view, Matthew has toned down the vivid language in the wording
                in his source material in Mark. The point is, however, that it is
                utterly impossible to arrive at a conclusion that contradicts our
                preferred hypothesis if we are applying that preferred hypothesis to the
                synoptic gospels. We cannot obtain a denial of the hypothesis we prefer
                by assuming it to be true and applying it to the synoptic gospels. The
                consequence of this is that we cannot use any result of having applied
                the hypothesis to test the hypothesis. If applying the hypothesis
                entails that we assume it to be true, then any result of applying the
                hypothesis will be fully consistent with the hypothesis. So:

                >Result (5): If we have accepted a synoptic documentary hypothesis as
                >the best available to us, and if we apply this to the synoptic gospels,
                >it is impossible to obtain a conclusion that contradicts the
                >documentary hypothesis we are assuming to be true, and therefore no
                >result of applying the hypothesis can be validly used to test the truth
                >or falsity of the hypothesis we have assumed true.

                To turn now to the particular questions you asked above, Stephen. I
                stated that --

                >the hypothesis that Matthew used a structureless documentary source is
                >supported by the observed synoptic phenomena.

                Which you queried --

                >I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by "is supported
                >by."

                By "supported" I meant what I refer to in Result (3). The observed
                phenomenon is that Matthew is structureless. This is a difficulty for
                synoptic hypotheses that suppose that Matthew was a free author
                creatively crafting his own book, since one would expect that a literary
                author would provide a clear structure for his work. On the other hand,
                this is not a difficulty, but something that can be accounted for, by a
                documentary hypothesis that supposes that Matthew used a structureless
                documentary source. For Matthew could have largely retained the wording
                and order of material of his structureless source and so produced a
                structureless gospel.

                You also said --

                >You deny now that it means "is implied by."

                It is not just "now" (in my posting to which you are replying) that I
                have denied that synoptic phenomena do not imply a synoptic documentary
                hypothesis. I have frequently represented Result (1) on Synoptic-L over
                the months and years. No synoptic documentary hypothesis can be deduced
                from any observed synoptic phenomena. Or, putting the same thing another
                way, no observed synoptic phenomena logically imply any synoptic
                documentary hypothesis. So, the observed phenomenon that Matthew is
                structureless does not imply the synoptic documentary hypothesis that
                Matthew formed his gospel from a structureless documentary source. No
                synoptic phenomena imply any synoptic hypothesis.

                You continued --

                >I didn't think it meant merely "is consistent with", because an earlier
                >message of yours, on 6 March 2001, criticized Leonard Maluf as follows:
                >
                >>It is no good merely showing how brilliantly the Griesbach Hypothesis
                >>can be applied to the synoptic gospels to produce a breath-takingly
                >>consistent explanation of how Luke wrote his gospel, when the Two
                >>Document Hypothesis, and other synoptic hypotheses also, can be just
                >>as brilliantly applied to the synoptic gospels and shown to produce
                >>equally breath-taking results.

                Yes. This is about Result (5) above. I think you are confusing Result
                (3) with result (5). Leonard assumes the Griesbach Hypothesis as his
                "working hypothesis". From my Result (5) it follows that nothing
                whatever that he obtains by applying the Griesbach Hypothesis to the
                synoptic gospels can produce a contradiction of the Griesbach Hypothesis
                itself, because to use the GH as his working hypothesis he is obliged to
                assume that the GH is true. Leonard apparently wishes to argue that
                because his exposition of the GH is so consistent and works so well this
                indicates in some way that the GH is therefore true. This is simply not
                the case. He seems not to realize that anything that is obtained by
                applying his working hypothesis to the synoptic gospels, that is by
                assuming the GH to be true, will result in a set of statements that are
                fully consistent with the GH which he assumed to be true in the first
                place. Such a set of statements must be consistent with the GH.
                Similarly, a set of statements obtained by applying the Two Document
                Hypothesis to the synoptic gospels must be consistent with the 2DH and
                can in no way be used to test the truth of the 2DH. And so on.

                I think I have covered the questions you have asked above.

                I think Davies and Alison are on the dot concerning Matthew not having a
                clear structure. It is interesting to me that they do not look for a
                hypothesis to account for this. Perhaps they realize that if they found
                such a hypothesis, it would not be the Two Document Hypothesis that they
                advocate.

                _

                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2001
                  Although Shawn Kelley has already responded effectively to Brian's post, I
                  yield here to my unholy instinct to "pile on".

                  Brian wrote:

                  << So, how can a synoptic documentary hypothesis be arrived at? If not by
                  deduction from observed phenomena, then from what? The answer is that
                  any synoptic documentary hypothesis is an invention of the mind. It is a
                  guess:>>

                  I think this poses an exaggerated disjunction: is there nothing between
                  strict deduction from observed phenomena, and a [pure?] "invention of the
                  mind"? Of course there is, and it is this "in-between" area that generates
                  Synoptic hypotheses: in other words, hypotheses are excogitated on the basis
                  of observed phenomena. It is true that they cannot be "deduced" therefrom in
                  the strict sense of the word, but the phenomena are nonetheless very much the
                  basis for any workable hypothesis.

                  [Brian writes]
                  << Now it is not true that one guess is as good as any another.>>

                  This statement is true, because what I said above is true. Illustration of
                  Brian's point here: the hypothesis that Matthew intends to describe Jesus as
                  the fulfillment of the Law, the Prophets, and the Writings is probably a
                  better guess to account for the structural "phenomena" of Matthew than is the
                  guess that Matt copied from a structureless body of Greek notes: it at least
                  accounts for a variety of structures that are in fact found in the document,
                  whereas the second named hypothesis does not. In fact, understanding
                  Matthew's project as precisely that of presenting Jesus to a Jewish audience
                  in terms of the Law, the Prophets and the Writings is a perfect recipe for
                  arriving at a conglomerate of structures such as are commonly recognized as
                  informing the Gospel of Matthew. The hypothesis would of course have to be
                  demonstrated, but at face value it would be regarded neither as outlandish
                  nor as groundless by most scholars.

                  [Brian again]
                  << The point is, however, that it is
                  utterly impossible to arrive at a conclusion that contradicts our
                  preferred hypothesis if we are applying that preferred hypothesis to the
                  synoptic gospels.>>

                  This is simply not quite true. What about all the numerous cases, e.g., in
                  which 2 DH supporters admit, with commendable honesty, that data they are
                  dealing with in a given pericope are extremely difficult to account for on
                  the basis of their preferred source hypothesis?

                  For those who have had the patience to read this far, I offer, in conclusion,
                  the following (unrelated) Gospel-trivia conundrum:

                  In what three consecutive Gospel verses do we find the names Jesus, Mary, and
                  Joseph, in that order?

                  Further conditions and hints:

                  1. "Jesus" does not refer to Joshua in the text in question;
                  2. "Mary" refers to the mother of Jesus;
                  3. "Joseph" occurs in the precise phrase: "and Joseph".

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2001
                    On 3 May 2001, at 9:48, Maluflen@... wrote:

                    > In what three consecutive Gospel verses do we find the names Jesus,
                    > Mary, and Joseph, in that order?
                    >
                    > Further conditions and hints:
                    >
                    > 1. "Jesus" does not refer to Joshua in the text in question;
                    > 2. "Mary" refers to the mother of Jesus;
                    > 3. "Joseph" occurs in the precise phrase: "and Joseph".

                    Difficult to resist some trivia, not least if it gives me the chance to
                    test resources on my All-in-One Biblical site! I can do it in two
                    verses -- Matt. 1.18-19. Will that do?

                    Mark
                    -----------------------------
                    Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                    University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
                    Birmingham B15 2TT
                    United Kingdom

                    http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                    Homepage
                    http://NTGateway.com
                    The New Testament Gateway

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4, 2001
                      Brian Wilson wrote --

                      >So, how can a synoptic documentary hypothesis be arrived at? If not by
                      >deduction from observed phenomena, then from what? The answer is that
                      >any synoptic documentary hypothesis is an invention of the mind. It is
                      >a guess

                      Leonard Maluf replied --

                      >I think this poses an exaggerated disjunction: is there nothing between
                      >strict deduction from observed phenomena, and a [pure?] "invention of
                      >the mind"? Of course there is, and it is this "in-between" area that
                      >generates Synoptic hypotheses: in other words, hypotheses are
                      >excogitated on the basis of observed phenomena. It is true that they
                      >cannot be "deduced" therefrom in the strict sense of the word, but the
                      >phenomena are nonetheless very much the basis for any workable
                      >hypothesis.

                      Leonard,
                      There is nothing between strict deduction from observed
                      phenomena and a hypothesis that is an invention of the mind, because, as
                      you rightly admit above, no hypothesis can be deduced from observed
                      phenomena. Whatever the psychological route by which a hypothesis is
                      arrived at, it still remains true that the logically it has not been
                      deduced from the data. You are confusing psychology and logic. They are
                      not the same.

                      Archimedes ran naked through the streets shouting EURHKA having
                      conceived his hypothesis concerning the reduced weight of objects partly
                      or wholly immersed in water. The psychological route is fascinating!
                      Archimedes himself, however, would have been the last person to say that
                      he had logically deduced his hypothesis from his observations. He was a
                      brilliant mathematician. (Some say one of the greatest the world has
                      seen.) He knew very well that his hypothesis was not a deduced theorem
                      of number theory or geometry, where conclusions follow inescapably by
                      deduction from stated axioms. He knew very well that his observations in
                      the bath were used to **test** his hypothesis, not to create it. It is a
                      logical howler to suggest that phenomena are the **logical** basis for
                      any synoptic documentary hypothesis. If they were, it would no longer be
                      necessary to test a documentary hypothesis against what is observed in a
                      synopsis. The term "hypothesis" would in fact no longer be needed. The
                      logical disjunction between hypotheses that can be tested and a theorem
                      that can be deduced from axioms, is absolute.

                      I also wrote --

                      >The point is, however, that it is utterly impossible to arrive at a
                      >conclusion that contradicts our preferred hypothesis if we are applying
                      >that preferred hypothesis to the synoptic gospels. We cannot obtain a
                      >denial of the hypothesis we prefer by assuming it to be true and
                      >applying it to the synoptic gospels.

                      To which Leonard Maluf replied --

                      >This is simply not quite true. What about all the numerous cases,
                      >e.g., in which 2 DH supporters admit, with commendable honesty, that
                      >data they are dealing with in a given pericope are extremely difficult
                      >to account for on the basis of their preferred source hypothesis?

                      I think, Leonard, that you are misunderstanding the idea of "preferred
                      hypothesis" here. The "preferred hypothesis" is one that "has no
                      difficulties with the observed phenomena" (See Result (3) in my previous
                      posting.)

                      If you are correct that there are such extreme difficulties in the 2DH
                      accounting for the observed data in the synoptic gospels, then it is not
                      our preferred hypothesis, and should not be applied to the synoptic
                      gospels.

                      I think you will find, however, that the commendably honest supporters
                      of the 2DH do find ways of overcoming the difficulties they acknowledge
                      so that they can hold that the 2DH is true. The introductory articles of
                      "The Critical Edition of Q" are a fascinating example of this. The
                      difficulties are admitted with commendable honesty and then overcome
                      with awesome ingenuity. The redaction-critical reconstruction of Q that
                      follows is produced entirely on the assumption that the 2DH is the
                      truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

                      _