[Synoptic-L] Crucifixion

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2001
      John N. Lupia
      501 North Avenue B-1
      Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
      JLupia2@...

      You said:

      "What do you make of Quintilian Declamations 6.9?

      "But bodies are cut down from crosses, executioners do not prevent
      executed criminals from being buried, and pirates did no more than
      throw the the corpse into the sea"  (Sussman translation, p. 75).

      The writer seems to be arguing from the position that it was normal to
      allow burial of crucified criminals. "

      Although I am abundantly pleased that you read Quintilian, I can only assume
      Mr. Olson that you are kidding. Marcus Fabius Quintilianus (c. AD 35-c. 95)
      wrote after changes were made when he was only two years old, as I specified
      in my text. I am addressing the historical context of the actual
      crucifixion, not a post AD 37 context.

      Pax in Iesu Christo
      Ioannes Lupiae