Re: Q on tape!

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 8, 1998
      May I ask who it is who does the narration? Is it Borg himself. And how
      long does the tape last?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8, 1998
        Don Spencer wrote:

        > Certainly for Synoptic-L, the tape will not add to scholarly
        > understanding. Perhaps Mark might indicate why he thinks we
        > should take notice.

        I raised it in the same way that I raise any issue of bibliographic
        interest on the list -- because I thought people might be interested
        in it or benefit from it. For one thing, I recently interviewed a
        blind student for admission to our University and the experience made
        me much more sensitive to the question of resources for
        sight-impaired students. A professionally done audio tape of _The
        Lost Gospel_ will no doubt sound better than, say, Sterling
        Bjorndahl's internet version of the IQP Critical Text of Q. Internet
        material on the machine we have at the University here comes over in
        a Stephen Hawkins - type voice.

        It is not just the sight-impaired who benefit from such things,
        however. Don Spencer mentioned that he listens in the car and I
        sometimes listen to audio texts on a walkman when walking to and from
        work. Listening to a text performed often produces a different
        impression than reading the same text. I would agree with Don
        that the experience can be valuable.

        On the other hand, the way that the tape was advertised did concern
        me. The claims about "the original words of Jesus" and "now for the
        first time" etc. (quoting from memory) tend to be the kind of
        sensationalist talk that we could better do without, as Jim implies.

        Further, I share the concern that others express with taking Q as a
        "text" for granted without giving any hint of its hypothetical
        nature. But this has been the case for some considerable time now,
        and the release of an audio version is only another stage in the
        unstoppable progress of the juggernaut.

        All the best

        Dr Mark Goodacre M.S.Goodacre@...

        Synoptic-L Archive: http://www.findmail.com/list/synoptic-l
        Synoptic-L Owner: Synoptic-L-Owner@...
      • David Hall
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8, 1998
          It seems Tatian attempted a Gospel harmony. Parts of it survive in a
          manuscript donated to the church in Rome, Italy(Catholic) from the church in
          Alexandria, Egypt(Coptic). An Arabic manuscript containing some of
          Tatian's work and also excerpts form a Syrian commentary about the work are
          what remains of the Diatessaron the Gospel harmony by Tatian the disciple of
          Justin Martyr and his gospel harmony. This Q seems like a gospel harmony as
          no Q manuscript exists but rather the sources for the gospels were the
          apostles while they were alive(Polycarp). Various letters and notes must
          have existed yet each author collected from as many sources as were
          available and these were probably interviewed. I was fortunate enough to
          collect a copy of the Diatessaron after numerous editions and not 100%
          complete, but rather containing gaps of omission. I do not fully understand
          it yet, but it is from a Vatican manuscript donated by the patriarch of
          Alexandria in the 19th century.

          David Hall
          quentino@erols .com
          http://www.erols.com/quentino

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 13, 1998
            re missive of 08/07/98 10:47 PM signed -Mark Goodacre- :

            >A professionally done audio tape of _The
            >Lost Gospel_ will no doubt sound better than, say, Sterling
            >Bjorndahl's internet version of the IQP Critical Text of Q. Internet
            >material on the machine we have at the University here comes over in
            >a Stephen Hawkins - type voice.

            What people don't seem to understand is that this is
            actually a *remix* tape. It's a project by DJ Q-Borg,
            also known as MixxMaster Markkus. He plundered two
            mostly-forgotten albums (classics, really) by first-
            century progressive rock artists for whatever vocal
            snippets would go over with a mass audience, and
            then looped those voice samples over some apocalyptic
            sound-effects in order to get that layered "retro" feel.
            He even sampled some cool "Satan" references to provide
            an ear-catching little overture. It's sure to make
            for a hit single and will definitely appeal to dance-
            format radio in a way that all that *old* crap never would.

            James

            P.S. Now that "Thomas" remix, that's *really* a work of art.
            Hundreds of hours of deconstructive tape-splicing.
            I hear that's it's actually John Oswald doing another
            Plunderphonics project under an assumed name.

            James R. Covey
            WWW Systems Developer
            Cochran Interactive Inc.
            http://www.cochran.com