Re: [Synoptic-L] Markan Priority and Matthean Fatigue

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2001
      On April 25, 2001, Stephen Carlson wrote:

      > 4. James was executed c. 42 (cf. Ac12:2). Does anybody know what
      > happened to John the son of Zebedee?

      At the risk of telling you what you already know:

      C. K. Barrett's commentary on John discusses both the "standard"
      Irenaeus tradition (2nd ed., p. 100) and a numer of alternative
      traditions about John, son of Zebedee, including the tradition that he
      was martyred (pp. 103-104), in his discussion of the authorship of the
      Fourth Gospel. Barrett concludes "we have no certain knowledge of the
      movements of John in his later years (105).

      Best Wishes,

      Ken

      Kenneth A. Olson
      Graduate Teaching Assistant
      Department of History
      2115 Francis Scott Key Hall
      University of Maryland
      College Park, MD 20742
      kaolson@...

      I am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility of anything - T.H.
      Huxley