[Synoptic-L] Fatigue in Mark & Matthew

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2001
      John N. Lupia
      501 North Avenue B-1
      Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
      JLupia2@...

      Re: Fatigue in Mc 4,37-38 and Matt 8,24

      I must preface my following comments by first stating I have a very high
      regard for Drs. Goodacre and Weeden. Understand what I offer is for open
      discussion among informed professional academics. Moreover, the following
      is an excerpt from a manuscript I am working on.

      Utilizing the very well constructed thesis of writer's fatigue by Mark
      Goodacre, New Testament Studies, 44 (1998), pp. 45-58, and the interesting
      arguments posted by Ted Weeden it can be shown that among the Synoptics Luke
      version appears the more original.

      In Marks account of "Stilling of the Storm" cf. K. Aland's SQE no.90
      "Stillung des Sturmes" we see the inconsistency of the boat being flooded
      with cold agitated water yet Jesus is asleep on a cushion in the stern
      needing to be awaken by apostles. This inconsistency is emphasized in v. 38
      by the apostle who says APOLLUMETHA "we are perishing" better translated
      "we are going down". First, how could anyone remain sleeping after being
      dowsed with icy cold water? This is a method used to wake up even drunkards
      who are passed out. Second, the image of the boat swamped or inundated with
      water strains the image allowing for anyone to remain sleeping. Third, this
      same image of a flooded boat so inundated as to be on the brink of sinking
      stirs the mind of the reader to confusion as to how a sleeping individual
      would not have taken in some of the water breathing while asleep and
      consequently wake up from gagging..Yet despite these logical objections
      Jesus continues to sleep deeply and must be awakened by the frightened
      panicing apostles.

      Matt 8,24 renders the story similar to Mark by using KALUPTESTHAI hUPO TWN
      KUMATWN "swamped by the waves" having the same sense of inconsistency.

      Whereas Lc 8,23 uses the imp. pass. SUNEPLHROUNTO that conveys the sense
      within the context of the sentence that the boat "was beginning to fill with
      water" giving a precise sense of time in the chronology of the story; a far
      cry from Mark or Matthew's "swamped" or flooded boat. Luke's narrative has
      water in the boat but to a lesser degree tham the other two Synoptics giving
      the urgent need in the story's chronology to wake Jesus up while removing
      the sense that it should have already happened by natural causes from the
      storm, so that Jesus could conceiveable continue to have remained sleeping
      with being covered by waves as in Mark or Matthew.

      I hope this helps,

      Peace in Christ,
      John