Re: [Synoptic-L] Venting My Spleen On Writing

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2001
      I would agree that endnotes are obnoxious, whether at the
      end of the book or at the end of the chapter, though the
      latter kind is slightly less obnoxious. Footnotes are
      better, because it is more difficult to lose one's place
      in the main text.

      Interestingly, my recommendations are almost 100% the
      opposite of Mr. Jackson's.

      To me, a well written scholarly text should aid the
      reader in signaling what can be ignored. Thus the
      document should have a streamlined main text, so that
      the main argument can quickly and easily be followed,
      but with parenthetical remarks, support, digressions,
      and refutation of minor objections to be handled in
      discursive footnotes.

      For the referencing purpose that footnotes are commonly
      used for, I would prefer inline parenthetical citations
      in author-date format. One example is Kloppenborg Verbin's
      EXCAVATING Q. Use of the inline patenthetical citation
      style reduces the need for footnoting, leaving the footnotes
      for the really interesting material, and one quickly learns
      to skip over the inline cites.

      Cambridge University Press uses block-indented notes for
      some purposes. I'm not sure how I like them yet.