Re: [Synoptic-L] SPQR:Even more

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2001
      In a message dated 4/21/2001 1:27:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      peterson@... writes:

      << If we're going to assign praise and blame, I'd like to thank John for
      delivering me from my error; the proper translation of the phrase, then,
      is not "the senate and people of the Romans" (as I had mistakenly
      thought), but "the senate and the Roman people," with the adjective
      strictly modifying only the second noun. Latinists please weigh in.>>

      This is exactly correct - or, as my Duden 5 (Das Fremdwoerterbuch) renders
      the expression: "Der Senat und das roemische Volk". It further describes the
      entire expression as "... formelhafte Bezeichnung fuer das gesamte roemische
      Volk".