[Synoptic-L] Thallus the Syrian Astronomer

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2001
      John N. Lupia
      501 North Avenue B-1
      Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
      JLupia2@...

      I was wondering if anyone on the List could assist me in finding the source
      for Thallus (Thalus or Thales) the Syrian Astronomer who wrote about a solar
      eclipse in a work that he had written around AD 50 . I seem to have lost
      my notes.

      Respectfully,
      In Christ,
      John

    • Ken Olson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2001
        At 9:32 AM on April 11, John Lupia wrote:

        > I was wondering if anyone on the List could assist me in finding the
        source
        > for Thallus (Thalus or Thales) the Syrian Astronomer who wrote about
        a solar
        > eclipse in a work that he had written around AD 50 . I seem to
        have lost
        > my notes.

        Jeffrey Gibson beat me to answering this. You might also be
        interested in Richard Carrier's analysis of the Thallos passage at
        http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/thallus.html.

        Also, are you a member of the Crosstalk list (http://www.xtalk.org/)?
        That's the place to find discussions of Thallos.

        Best Wishes,

        Ken

        Kenneth A. Olson
        Graduate Teaching Assistant
        Department of History
        2115 Francis Scott Key Hall
        University of Maryland
        College Park, MD 20742
        kaolson@...

        I am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility of anything - T.H.
        Huxley

      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2001
          John Lupia wrote:

          > John N. Lupia
          > 501 North Avenue B-1
          > Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
          > JLupia2@...
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone on the List could assist me in finding the source
          > for Thallus (Thalus or Thales) the Syrian Astronomer who wrote about a solar
          > eclipse in a work that he had written around AD 50 . I seem to have lost
          > my notes.

          Try the quotation of Julius Africanus that appears in F. Jacoby, _Die Fragmente
          der griechischen Historiker_ II B (Berlin, 1929), p. 1157.

          Thallus is discussed on p. 30 of F.F. Bruce's _Jesus and Chrstian Origins
          Outside the New Testament_.

          And I imagine -- though I haven't checked to confirm -- that Thallus will be
          discussed in Schurer as well as Pauly-Wissowa.

          Yours,

          Jeffrey Gibson

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)