Re: [Synoptic-L] Fatigue in Leper Story

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10 2:35 PM
      At 10:45 AM 4/10/01 +0100, Peter M. Head wrote:
      >Stephen wrote:
      >>Although Mark does not expressly state that the leper met
      >>privately, that is a reasonable inference from the text,
      >>because the text includes an injunction to secrecy and
      >>does not contradict a private setting.
      >
      >Is there any particular reason to assume that Mark's secrecy commands
      >presume a private setting? It would be suprising to a reader who has just
      >come past 1.24f and 1.34 (cf. also 3.10-12; 5.43 [cf. 7.36 private only at
      >one level]).

      Although Goodacre did characterize the meeting between the
      leper and Jesus as "private", I have preferred to focus on
      the fact that privacy aspect is not explicit in Mark 1:40-45.
      Thus, the subsequent injunction to secrecy in Mark does not
      pose the same difficulties as in Matthew, whose setting differs
      from Mark's, because Mark's setting is capable of being
      understood as a private meeting but Matthew's cannot be.

      As for your examples, I view Mark 1:24, 34, and 3:12 not so
      much as a secrecy injunction but as a demonstration of Jesus's
      control over demons, i.e. Jesus can muzzle demons. I may be
      wrong, but doesn't Mark 5:40 indicate that the injunction in
      v43 is in a private setting? Mark 7:36 is an injunction to
      the crowd (an extra element in the text that expressly negates
      a private setting), whereas Mark 1:40-45 has no such element and
      the injunction of v43 is to the leper, not any crowd.

      >If not then does Mark G's argument break down at this point?

      I'm not sure. Personally, I feel that my reformulation of
      the argument is an improvement. So this example still works
      as a case of fatigue.