Re: [Synoptic-L] Luke knew Matthew: Three versions

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 10, 2001
      In a message dated 4/10/2001 9:43:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      M.S.Goodacre@... writes:

      << Discussing Farrer alongside
      Griesbach does tend to obscure the extent to which Marcan
      Priority is foundational for the Farrer theory >>

      Indeed! This peculiar combination of responses to the Two Source Theory on
      the part of Farrerites has always puzzled me. From my point of view, they
      evidence (1) a profoundly critical rethinking of the Q hypothesis and (2) a
      seemingly uncritical acceptance of Markan priority as foundational to the
      solution of the Synoptic Problem. This is of course beginning to change in
      recent times, with the significant efforts and contributions of Mark G. and
      Peter Head, who have at least attempted to find some minimal solid support
      for Markan priority, the classical arguments for which have been demonstrated
      to be so hopelessly worthless, to state the point somewhat provocatively.
      But, to my knowledge, Farrerites have yet to address the significant
      arguments in favor of Markan posteriority that have been assembled by
      Griesbachians and others.

    • Peter M. Head
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 10, 2001
        Thanks Mark for your helpful notes. Are there any interesting
        non-scientific commonalities among the British representatives of the
        Farrer-Goulder theory? Oxford is one. Did they all go to the same school or
        something?
        I'm not meaning to ignore your comment by the way, it is just that Farrer
        theory is much less clear than Farrer-Goulder (which non-advocates have
        been using for a while). Should advocates be given automatic rights of
        self-identification?

        Re
        >The difficulty with treating the issue globally is that the Farrer
        >Theory is more closely related to the Two-Source Theory than it is
        >to the Griesbach Theory since both Two-Source and Farrer make
        >Marcan Priority foundational. Discussing Farrer alongside
        >Griesbach does tend to obscure the extent to which Marcan
        >Priority is foundational for the Farrer theory (cf. my "A Monopoly on
        >Marcan Priority? Fallacies at the Heart of Q").

        The alternative problem is that much of the evidence is somewhat similar.
        It is hard to imagine any discussion not being very repetitious. Anyway
        I'll worry about later.

        Pete

        Dr. Peter M. Head
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens
        Cambridge CB3 9BA
        Tel: 01223 566607
        Fax: 01223 566608
        email: pmh15@...

      • Peter M. Head
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 10, 2001
          Thanks Leonard, that is worth pondering, although there is a bit more stuff
          in inter alia de Wette, Bleek, Davidson. There may be some more detail
          again in old material from the T¨bingen school. By the way I find your
          confession re Griesbach somewhat surprising (although your sources are
          surely right at this point).

          Peter

          Dr. Peter M. Head
          Tyndale House
          36 Selwyn Gardens
          Cambridge CB3 9BA
          Tel: 01223 566607
          Fax: 01223 566608
          email: pmh15@...

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 10, 2001
            At 02:06 PM 4/10/01 +0100, Peter M. Head wrote:
            >There seem to be three different views among those who think that Luke knew
            >Matthew:
            >
            >a) Griesbach Hyp view: Lk used Mt as his major source (e.g. Old Griesbach
            >School, Farmer, Q Impasse)
            >b) Farrer-Goulder Hyp view: Lk used Mt as supplement to Mk, therefore
            >dispense with Q (e.g. Farrer, Goulder, Drury, Ropes, Enslin [I think some
            >Americans have held this view!], Goodacre)
            >c) 2SH view: Lk exhibits occasional knowledge of Mt, but primary sources
            >were Mk & Q (Gundry, later Holtzmann, Morganthaler).
            >
            >Some questions:
            >i) Have I missed anyone important?

            Yes. The Augustinians (Zahn, Jameson, Chapman, Butler, and Wenham in
            the 20th century). Although the Augustinians and Farrer theory Q
            skeptics disagree on Markan priority, their views on Luke's use of
            Matthew and Mark are compatible. (Though the Q skeptics, who hold
            to Markan priority without Q, have the better psychological argument
            for Luke's preference for Mark: Luke had known Mark for longer.)

            >ii) Does anyone know anything about E. Simon, Hat der dritte Evangelist den
            >kanonischen Matthäus benutzt (Bonn: C. Georgi, 1880)? Apparently influenced
            >Holtzmann, mentioned in Farmer, Synoptic Problem. Where does he fit into
            >the typology?

            All I know is what Hobbs explained. Simons was like your view
            (c), which has been termed the Three Source Hypothesis (Mark, Q,
            and Matthew). Holtzmann worked with Simons on this issue, which
            allowed Holtzmann to abandon Ur-Markus.

            >iii) If one was going to argue the opposite (i.e. Luke's independence from
            >Matthew) would it be fair to treat the issue globally, or would one need a
            >detailed critique of each of the three options?

            I would argue them separately. They are different and raise different
            kinds of issues.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10, 2001
              At 10:38 AM 4/10/01 EDT, Maluflen@... wrote:
              >I have not personally read through the whole of
              >Griesbach's own treatise, but I have read in informed sources that he barely
              >mentions Luke's knowledge and use of Matt. The entire treatise is focused on
              >arguing that Mark's Gospel is best understood as a conflation of Matt and
              >Luke.

              If by "treatise" you are referring to his Commentatio qua Marci
              Evangelium totum e Matthaei et Lucae commentariis decerptum esse
              monstratur, then you are right, except that I couldn't find
              anything in it at all that refers to Luke's use of Matthew. Bo
              Reicke claimed that in another work, Inquisitio in fontes, unde
              Evangelistae suas de resurrectione Domini narrationes hauserint
              (1783), Greisbach did assert that Luke used Matthew.

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 10, 2001
                On 10 Apr 2001, at 18:05, Peter M. Head wrote:

                > Thanks Mark for your helpful notes. Are there any interesting
                > non-scientific commonalities among the British representatives of the
                > Farrer-Goulder theory? Oxford is one. Did they all go to the same
                > school or something?

                I think Oxford is one -- Farrer taught Goulder there in the 1950s and
                John Muddiman in the 1960s. Franklin was at St Stephen's House
                and was my tutor in the 1980s; Muddiman was my doctoral
                supervisor in the 1990s. John Drury was chaplain of Exeter
                College (which, as it happens, was my college too) in the 1970s,
                across the road from Trinity where Goulder was giving his
                Speakers' Lectures published as _Midrash and Lection in
                Matthew_ in 1974 (cf. the preface to Drury's 1976 _Tradition and
                Design in Luke's Gospel_). E. P. Sanders was Dean Ireland
                professor at Oxford in the 1980s, and it was while there that he
                published (with Margaret Davies) his most Farrer-friendly piece,
                _Studying the Synoptic Gospels_ (1989). I can't fit Benedict Green
                in here. I wonder if he was taught by Farrer too? I'll have to ask
                him.

                No, I don't think the same school comes into it. They are all posh
                (e.g. Goulder went to Eton) whereas I was just an ordinary bod who
                went to the local comprehensive school in the East Midlands.

                There's a minor Birmingham link too. Goulder has spent most of
                his academic career in the University of Birmingham until his
                retirement in 1994. Farrer was a Cadbury lecturer here in 1953-4
                (and the book is _St Matthew and St Mark_). Margaret Davies was
                an undergraduate here in the late '50s, early '60s. I've been here
                since 1995 for my short career so far. Ed Sanders was the
                Cadbury lecturer here last year!

                However, there are now those who have no link with any of this who
                are becoming Q sceptics simply because they are looking carefully
                at the evidence : )

                > I'm not meaning to ignore your comment by the
                > way, it is just that Farrer theory is much less clear than
                > Farrer-Goulder (which non-advocates have been using for a while).
                > Should advocates be given automatic rights of self-identification?

                No, but they should be given a hearing if the existing usage is in
                some way potentially misleading. There are several problems with
                the term "Farrer-Goulder": (1) it marginalises the contributions of
                key figures like John Drury and Eric Franklin; (2) it tacitly suggests
                that the theory of Marcan Priority + Luke's use of Matthew
                necessarily involves Goulder's take on it, including the implausible
                theory of no additional sources. Drury and Franklin each contribute
                something of key importance unrepresented by Goulder: Drury's
                stress on Luke as a literary artist picks up on Farrer's stress on
                the same and is a useful antidote to Goulder's fundamentally
                source- / redaction- critical approach. Franklin stresses Luke's
                critical attitude to Matthew alongside a rejection of Goulder's no-
                extra-sources view. If in spite of these considerations, one still
                thinks that "Farrer-Goulder" is the best description

                > The alternative problem is that much of the evidence is somewhat
                > similar. It is hard to imagine any discussion not being very
                > repetitious. Anyway I'll worry about later.

                Some of it is, but I suppose that my point was that the fundamental
                agreement between Farrer & Two-Source on Marcan Priority
                renders these rather different theses than Griesbach.

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 10, 2001
                  On 10 Apr 2001, at 23:17, Mark Goodacre wrote:

                  > If
                  > in spite of these considerations, one still thinks that
                  > "Farrer-Goulder" is the best description

                  add "then so be it", or finish the sentence how you see fit! Sorry
                  for the error. Seriously, I have not heard a good defence of the
                  term "Farrer-Goulder" from those who use it and I would be
                  interested to hear it.

                  Mark
                  -----------------------------
                  Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                  University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
                  Birmingham B15 2TT
                  United Kingdom

                  http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                  Homepage
                  http://NTGateway.com
                  The New Testament Gateway

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 10, 2001
                    In a message dated 4/10/2001 1:06:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    pmh15@... writes:

                    << Thanks Leonard, that is worth pondering, although there is a bit more stuff
                    in inter alia de Wette, Bleek, Davidson. There may be some more detail
                    again in old material from the T¨bingen school. By the way I find your
                    confession re Griesbach somewhat surprising (although your sources are
                    surely right at this point).>>

                    My thanks to Stephen Carlson for clearing up the business about Griesbach by
                    distinguishing between two of his major works that addressed the issue. It
                    might interest you to know, Peter, that my own strong adherence to the
                    Griesbach position is a result of work with the Greek texts of the Gospels,
                    not the result of having been pursuaded by the arguments of scholars. I am
                    probably considerably less literate in the writings of the so-called "Farmer
                    school" than is Stephen Carlson (and probably you) as well. To continue our
                    game of trivia in Synoptic source theories, I wonder if anyone on the list
                    (you, for instance) would be prepared to jump a century from Griesbach and
                    classify the position on the Synoptic Problem (and on the question of Luke's
                    knowledge and use of Matthew) of the great mid-19th century Erlangen scholar,
                    Franz Delitzsch? Hint: he did write on the topic, more or less explicitly.

                  • Ron Price
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 11, 2001
                      Peter Head wrote:

                      > Would any of the advocates of the view that Luke knew Matthew like
                      > to suggest their best examples?

                      Pete,

                      I suggest the following:
                      (1) The Temptation. Davies & Allison (_Matthew_, I, 350), refer to an
                      article by Wilkens - "Die Versuchung Jesu nach Matthaus" NTS 28 (1982),
                      479-89, which argues for the Matthean version as largely redactional and
                      for Luke as dependent on Matthew here.
                      (2) John the Baptist's Inquiry
                      (3) The 'naming' and framing of the Sermon on the Plain, which looks
                      very much as if it was based on that of the Sermon on the Mount, for the
                      scenery was not in the sayings source.

                      Detailed arguments on the first two (amongst others) can be found on
                      my Web site.

                      Ron Price

                      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

                      e-mail: ron.price@...

                    • Peter M. Head
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 11, 2001
                        Thanks Mark,

                        this is really helpful (and interesting).

                        Peter

                        Dr. Peter M. Head
                        Tyndale House
                        36 Selwyn Gardens
                        Cambridge CB3 9BA
                        Tel: 01223 566607
                        Fax: 01223 566608
                        email: pmh15@...

                      • Jack Kilmon
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 11, 2001
                          > > Would any of the advocates of the view that Luke knew Matthew like
                          > > to suggest their best examples?
                          >
                          > Pete,
                          >
                          > I suggest the following:
                          > (1) The Temptation. Davies & Allison (_Matthew_, I, 350), refer to an
                          > article by Wilkens - "Die Versuchung Jesu nach Matthaus" NTS 28 (1982),
                          > 479-89, which argues for the Matthean version as largely redactional and
                          > for Luke as dependent on Matthew here.
                          > (2) John the Baptist's Inquiry
                          > (3) The 'naming' and framing of the Sermon on the Plain, which looks
                          > very much as if it was based on that of the Sermon on the Mount, for the
                          > scenery was not in the sayings source.

                          I find none of these arguments supporting Lukan use of Matthew. Luke's
                          use of more "primitive" forms of material found in Matthew; Luke's tendency
                          to use the Aramaic idiom accurately over Matthew's translational Greek
                          sources....all equals Mark > Luke > Matthew with Matthew using a
                          translational Greek "Q" and Luke having used an Aramaic document. It
                          is Luke's Aramaic Q that keeps me out of the "no Q" club. A fictional
                          document doesn't come in two languages.

                          Jack