[Synoptic-L] Fatigue in a leper story

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2001
      I think Joe Alward may have a point. Jesus could have met the leper
      outside a synagogue. Other people would instinctively have kept their
      distance from the leper. Jesus, with his usual concern for the outcast,
      would have made a bee-line towards him, and "stretched out his hand and
      touched him". Their conversation would have been in private, therefore,
      with the crowd looking on from a "safe distance". If this was the
      scenario, then Jesus' action of touching the leper would have spoken
      volumes to the onlookers, and would presumably have been intended to do
      this.

      There is no need to assume that KAI at the beginning of Mk 1.40 starts a
      new pericope in Mark. It could well be KAI paratactic. The pericope may
      start with KAI at the beginning of Mk 1.39 and extend from 1.39 to 1.45.

      I am not trying to argue that the fatigue argument is not valid. I think
      it is generally, as long as it is not taken to indicate that either
      Matthew or Luke used Mark. All it indicates, in fact, is that Mark used
      neither Matthew nor Luke. It is as much evidence against Markan Priority
      as evidence in its favour, as are all the arguments I have seen adduced
      for Markan Priority.

      _