Fwd: [Synoptic-L] Fatigue in Leper Story

  • JFAlward@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2001
      I only just realized that I had sent this post to Ken Olson off-list, instead
      of to the entire list. Here is my response to Olson's most recent comments.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2001
        At 09:07 PM 4/8/01 EDT, JFAlward@... wrote:
        >How is Goodacre's claim that the leper met privately with Jesus more
        >justified than my claim that people from the synagogue, as well as those just
        >un-demonized, were standing by when the leper came to Jesus?

        Mark's gospel is very episodic, and it is risky to import
        details from one episode into a separate episode. When
        one is appropriately careful in respecting Mark's structure,
        dubious propositions, such as the one here that lepers could
        ever allowed to enter synagogues, can be avoided.

        As for Goodacre's characterization that the meeting of Jesus
        with the leper is private, I think it is important to understand
        that Mark's text is not explicit on this point (but an appropriate
        inference). It is precisely Mark's lack of explicitness that
        lulled Matthew into its redaction to add the crowds, setting up
        Matthew's later fatigue when the injunction to secrecy is made.

      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2001
          JFAlward@... wrote:

          > The text doesn't say that "the leper meet Jesus privately," as Goodacre
          > claims in his article at
          >
          > http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q/fatigue.htm
          >
          > But, it *does* say that right after Jesus had been "preaching in their
          > synagogues and driving out demons...A man with leprosy came to him..." (Mark
          > 1:39-40)
          >
          > How is Goodacre's claim that the leper met privately with Jesus more
          > justified than my claim that people from the synagogue, as well as those just
          > un-demonized, were standing by when the leper came to Jesus?

          It is justified by a knowledge of the function KAI has within GMark when it is
          used, as it is at Mk 1:40, to begin a pericope, and what Mark assumes that KAI
          indicates regarding the temporal relationship between incidents that the KAI
          joins. But I take it that you have not actually done spade work in this matter
          or -- as I asked you previously to no avail -- into the work of K.L. Schmidt on
          what Mark is up to in this section of the Gospel.

          And as others have pointed out it is justified by social science considerations
          about where lepers would most likely be or allowed to be vis a vis a synagogue.

          Yours,

          Jeffrey Gibson

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)